Senior two-meters pace Trojans’ success

It’s been called the hardest position in all of collegiate sports.

Point guard? Quarterback? Catcher?

In sheer toughness and difficulty, none of those require the complexity and combination of skills needed to succeed at the two-meter position in water polo.

Senior leader · Senior two-meter J.W. Krumpholz has been a major part of the USC men’s water polo team’s dominance over recent years. - Katelynn Whitaker | Daily Trojan

At USC, an adept senior tandem of two-meters J.W. Krumpholz and Jordan Thompson are approaching the end of a remarkable four-year run that will leave an indelible mark in the Trojan record books for both the team and its members.

The position of two-meter in water polo is integral to the success of the team. The offense runs through the two-meter, and, in most cases, the player sets the pace for the rest of the team.

“Two-meter isn’t a glorious position. You take the brunt of the blame for your team, you’re right there front and center and you’re basically a hub for the team’s success,” Thompson said.

Along with the added pressure, the physicality of the position can take its toll. Both Thompson and Krumpholz have played four seasons at the position while being subjected to the constant battle that comes with being just two meters from the goal.

“Imagine the NBA if you couldn’t call a foul from the chest down,” Thompson said. “I’m constantly getting hit, but at the same time I need to keep my poise so I can receive the ball and do something productive with it.”

“It’s nonstop playing the two-meter position, nonstop action,” Krumpholz added.

Listed at 6 feet 3 inches tall and 200 pounds, Krumpholz found out at an early age that his size would be an important advantage as a two-meter player. Krumpholz, whose father also played water polo, followed his father’s footsteps into the sport and was almost immediately placed at the two-meter position.

“I was always bigger, so they put me at the two-meter position. I could have changed a few times here or there, but I’ve pretty much always had my back to the cage as the two-meter,” Krumpholz said.

Thompson, who at 6 feet 6 inches and 270 pounds, also took advantage of his size to become skilled at the sport’s most important position. Thompson started the sport at 12 years old, but initially struggled.

“For my first two years I was absolutely miserable, but on my 14th birthday I went to a tournament and a switch just flipped,” Thompson said. “And since then I’ve yet to get bored of the sport.”

The two-meter position became a natural fit for Thompson once he hit his stride.

“I’m a big guy and I’ve always been real physical,” Thompson said.

Before their time at McDonald’s Swim Stadium, the high school honors came in droves for both seniors. Both were given All-American High School Honors and led their schools to very successful runs.

Both also competed for club teams — for Krumpholz, all of the accolades led to an invitation to the US National Team at the young age of 17.

Krumpholz played in the 2005 World Championships in Montreal, the 2006 Junior Pan American Games and the 2007 FINA Junior World Championships during his early national team experience, all leading up to a spot on the US Olympic Water Polo team at the 2008 Olympic Games, where he won a silver medal with the team.

“The Olympics was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had to date,” Krumpholz said.

For all the recognition and experience the two have had in their water polo careers, their college careers are now coming to an end.

As the Trojans head into the NCAA Championships this weekend in Princeton, NJ as the No. 1 overall seed, both players talked highly of their coach Jovan Vavic and his positive influence on their careers.

“He’s hands down the most knowledgeable water polo coach in the country,” Thompson said.

“He’s helped me a lot; I don’t think I would have gone to the Olympics if he wasn’t my coach,” Krumpholz, who won the Peter J. Cutino award in 2008, said. “He’s taught me a lot.”

Krumpholz and Thompson have been a part of one of the most successful runs in USC men’s water polo team history and, as two-meter men, have been in the midst of games from scrimmages to the three NCAA Championship finals the team played in the past three years.

“Two-meter is the toughest position to play in any collegiate sport, but it’s also the most gratifying,” Thompson said.