Making waves in the city

She stands at the shoreline the cool breeze makeing its way through the spaces between her hair, lifting it slightly. The sounds of the waves crashing against the shore echo in her ears as she enters the water, surfboard in hand.

Making waves · Freshman Brendon Ballo is part of a revived USC surfing team that has gained recognition in the one semester since the team was reborn. Sponsors have been quick to support the team which has traveled to a variety of events to compete against other schools. - Photo courtesy of USC Surf Club

Once in the water, she commands the elements as she glides on every wave, fusing with each one to ride back to the shore.

The sport of surfing has been an iconic part of California culture. Here at USC, however, that sport seems non-existent.

After a two-year absence, three USC students — junior and president of the club Mark Lathrum, sophomore and vice president Jena Sussex and sophomore and captain John Funnell — refounded the surf team at USC just this fall as a branch of the surf club.

“We’re under the surf club, but we’re a separate entity of the surf club who actually competes, does all the contests and has a roster,” Lathrum said.

The thought of a surf club at USC is a peculiar idea.

USC is known for many sports; however, a surf team seems impossible — especially considering USC’s location.

“We’re actually as close to the ocean as San Diego State, but they don’t have traffic, so they can get there in 10 minutes. We just have to work our schedule around it,” Funnell said.

The team has less structured practices in order to balance traffic with being a student and an athlete.

But to these students, this team is not just merely another sport.

“It’s an escape,” Funnell said.

Daily Trojan | Photo courtesy of the USC surf team

For some students, the team is a gateway to reconnect with home and escape the busy, fast-paced environment of Downtown Los Angeles.

“A lot of us are beach kids, and it’s great to get out of the city and be in the ocean again,” Sussex said.

It seems the news of the team  has been spreading, bringing together those who have the same  passion.

“[We started on] day one with only three people who surf and trying to build a roster — now we have 25 people on our roster,” Lathrum said.

The team has seen a tremendous increase in interest and publicity in the short amount of time since it began the season. The popularity even reached the ears of sponsors Quicksilver and Shacked.

In addition to bringing the surfing community of the USC campus together, and reinvigorating the surfing scene in Los Angeles.

“California is known for its surf culture, and we’re just bringing that to this school,” Sussex said.

As for its first season back from hiatus, the surf team has surprised even its founders with its success.

“We’ve actually performed way better than I had expected when we started this team,” Lathrum said.

The Trojan surf team has put forth a great effort and is confident that it will reach state competition, and it even has the  aspirations to attend nationals in the National Scholastic Surfing Association.

“I’m just surprised so many people in college have such great skills in surfing,” Sussex said. “Usually surfers go pro rather than joining the college circuit. I’m glad we have them in our team.”

Photo courtesy of the USC Surf Club

The No. 17 USC surf team is currently ranked near the middle of its 30-team league but is constantly improving.

“We have surfers regularly making it to second heat and third heats,” Funnell said.

The more surfers that survive each heat, the more points they can gain for their team.

Despite its recent improvement in performance, the USC surf team still strives to better itself.

“Our only obstacle is balancing surf team and school,” Funnell said. “When you have surf team, you have to basically give your whole day to it.”

While athletic and academic balance may be the Achilles’ heel for the team, the participation act to counter it.

“We have so many great surfers that can fill in for anyone — we really aren’t worried if one can’t make it to a heat,” Lathrum said.

The USC surfing team has shown that even at an urban school like USC, the beach and surf culture can still thrive. Whether it is for the sheer joy of the beach, or the competitiveness, the team has built a haven for those with a passion for surfing.

With every passing competition, the team is proving itself and setting high goals. The team ‘s ambitions show commitment to bringing surfing back to a school that seemed to have forgotten the sport existed. To Funnel, its clear what the next step is.

“We’re gonna make nationals,” Funnell said.