Valentine’s Day tricks for late planners

Valentine’s Day is upon us once again, this time with a well-earned three-day weekend. For many students, this means extra wallowing and maybe a one-night stand or two, but, for those who actually have relationships, the weekend holds a bit more significance and a chance for a romantic evening. But for busy college students, planning a Hallmark-worthy Valentine’s Day can be hard. So what can be done if you’re in a rush? Go online.

No, don’t drop that significant other and sign up for an online dating service — instead use the web to make everything easier for that special day. The Internet is a bottomless well of resources for those in need of a quick fix or a last-minute romantic gesture. Numerous websites offer Valentine’s Day deals and features that make preparing for the day a lot easier.

One of the mainstays of an intimate evening is a romantic dinner. If a nice, popular restaurant is in the works, then book early. Don’t end up with an hour-long wait or, worse, stuck chowing fast food with your lady friend. One of the easiest ways to take care of that reservation is OpenTable.com. The site features an easy-to-use restaurant search that narrows down eateries to the neighborhood and cuisine of choice. Simply choose the desired reservation time and they take care of the rest.

Maybe you and your significant other want to see a movie, but, between meeting that dinner reservation and other commitments, you don’t want to sit through long lines just for the tickets. If that’s the case, check out Moviefone.com and Fandago.com. These two sites offer show times and tickets in advance, so long lines and possible sell-outs for this weekend’s biggest movies don’t end up spoiling the holiday.

A busy schedule can also make it harder to get your partner that gift you’ve been saving up for. Add the fact that many USC students don’t have cars to go to Los Angeles’ shopping centers makes it even harder to get that gift. Instead of tramping across the city by bus, try the Internet.

Many sites offer deals and specials for online orders. Flowerpetal.com offers deals from florists all over Los Angeles and can arrange for delivery too, so you can focus on schoolwork instead of going halfway across town to pick it up.

For those going the traditional route with chocolate, Godiva.com offers a great selection of various chocolate treats with a quick delivery time and prices that won’t break the bank.

If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time for that romantic night or want to send your feelings of love to someone who’s not close by, try an e-card. You can send out that witty, romantic or friendly message without having to go through the hassle of stamps and envelopes. Hallmark offers $1 e-cards on its website, and 123greetings.com offers some for free.

Fear not those in long-distance relationships, there is still a way to have that romantic evening, even if it’s from opposite ends of the world. Get a webcam and sign up for Skype, probably the best video chatting system out there. It might not be face to face, but it’s better than just a phone call.

Also, if you’re looking for something unique and personal to give this Valentine’s Day, try a mix tape. Not an actual cassette tape, though — a modern mixtape. ITunes, the ubiquitous online music store, allows you to gift a music playlist. Simply pay for the songs of your choosing, put together a romantic mix and then send it to your partner. She can wake up on Valentine’s Day with her favorite songs in her iTunes library and a loving message from you.

So don’t let a night with that special someone fall to ruin because of a busy schedule or last minute decision. A little preparation and the relevant websites can make everything right and let you focus on the important things this Valentine’s Day.

Nicholas Slayton is a freshman majoring in print journalism. His column, “A Series of Tubes,“ runs Thursdays.