Linebacker Campbell could be dismissed from team

Redshirt junior linebacker Jordan Campbell was nearly dismissed from the football team Tuesday by USC coach Lane Kiffin as a response to an undisclosed rules violation.

No one from the team would comment on the specifics of Campbell’s transgressions, but Kiffin did say that Campbell was not arrested.

“Something came up. It’s something we heard something about. We’re in the position we’re always in. Deciding if it’s accurate,” Kiffin said at practice.

A departure from the team would follow Campbell’s suspension from the team last winter for amassing too many negative points — penalties for missing class or tutoring sessions.

Campbell has seen little playing time during his football career at USC. During the 2009 campaign, he appeared in only two contests, collecting nine tackles overall as a fill-in from the bench.

Nevertheless, his absence from the team would further dilute a thin corps of linebackers. Frankie Telfort is dealing with a heart condition that will prohibit him from playing, sophomore Jarvis Jones suffered a potentially career-ending neck injury and Uona Kaveinga transferred to BYU.

That said, Campbell’s particular linebacker position received a boost when Kiffin announced this week that Chris Galippo will move to the strongside position.

Kiffin will announce a complete depth chart Friday.