Student radio station changes name to KXSC

The student-run radio station formerly known as KSCR underwent a name change this fall, becoming KXSC and moving to a new location in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center.

Listen up · Students Ada Lee and Barry Levine run a show at the new KXSC station in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center. - James Watson | Daily Trojan

The name change wasn’t planned, but rather the result of a redundancy with a commercial station in the Pacific Northwest.

“It was tough,” General Manager Karl Nickenig said. “We’ve had the name for decades, but I honestly don’t think it could have come at a better time.”

Nickenig, a senior majoring in music industry and formerly the station’s chief engineer, assumed general manager duties in January and has overseen the station’s transition to a new studio, located in the basement of the campus center.

“It signifies a new opportunity,” Nickenig said. “The studios are state of the art and our broadcast quality will be the best it ever has.”

But beyond the new name, location and equipment, Nickenig said KXSC will be characterized by its commitment to community and student enrichment.

KXSC is not funded by the university and receives most of its budget from public support. It will kick off the new semester with a private event for donors, volunteers and close supporters today and will feature an open house to allow students to tour the new studio in the coming month.

Originally when USC’s campus radio station, then titled KUSC, launched in 1946, the radio station was one of only a handful of college stations in the country. It gained widespread acclaim and support until it moved off campus to become the classical music station it is today.

KUSC left in its wake a demand for new student-run content. In 1975, KSCR was founded with the goal of promoting and providing just that: music for USC students — and often by USC students. Now, KSCR is KXSC.

The promotion of local bands, including those with students or alumni, is what students say they like most about the station.

“I usually listen when they feature live groups,” said Katherine Lee, a junior majoring in biological sciences. “Last year, one of my friends was performing and it was just great to be able to hear them on the air.”

Among those featured in the past and on tap for this year are Saint Motel and Mississippi Man, which have received airtime on commercial stations on the West Coast.

“In terms of listenership, our biggest nights are always our live shows on Fridays,” Nickenig said of the station, which will feature local bands at Tommy’s Place.

The station isn’t all about music, however. It features a sports department and works with the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism to broadcast Annenberg Radio News.