USC schedules home-and-home series with Texas

“He’s going for the corner.  He’s got it.  Vince Young scores.”

The call came courtesy of Keith Jackson.  The play?  A fourth-down scramble by Texas quarterback Vince Young that gave the Longhorns an epic 41-38 victory over USC in the 2006 BCS Championship game.

The loss snapped USC’s win streak at 34 games and denied the program a third-straight national championship.  Now, Trojan fans itching for revenge will get their shot — starting in 2017.

According to USC Athletic Director Pat Haden, the two football programs have agreed to play a home-and-home series in 2017 and 2018.

“USC versus Texas is a classic match-up and I’m sure fans from both schools, as well as all college football fans, will look forward to these games with much anticipation,” Haden said. “It’s been a long time since USC has played Texas in the regular season, and of course we all remember how exciting the recent bowl game meeting was between the teams.”

The Trojans will host Texas on Sept. 16, 2017 in the Coliseum.  USC will play in Austin, Tex. on Sept. 15 the following year.  The Trojans lead the all-time series 4-1, with their only defeat coming in the 2006 Rose Bowl.  USC beat Texas four times between 1955 and 1967.

USC also filled out its 2013 schedule with a home game against Utah State on Sept. 21.

“We’re also glad to be able to fill out our 2013 schedule by adding Utah State as a seventh home game that year,” Haden said.