Sexual leeway in modern media doesn’t liberate teens

Sigmund Freud’s theory of psychosexual development helped begin the release of a centuries-long cultural repression about anything regarding sex. Sixty years ago, no one could find information about sex outside of the parental birds and bees talk without risking social stigma.

Today, the rise of public school sex education and widespread availability of contraceptives in a medical system based on confidentiality and anonymity has unlocked conversations about sex for virtually anyone who wants to learn — which, according to Freud, is everyone.

Sullivan Brown | Daily Trojan

At last, the people have been freed.

This sexual freedom abounds so readily in our culture that we can’t even turn a corner without seeing sexually suggestive advertisements or hearing a sexual innuendo. We’re bombarded with trailers for movies such as Easy A and The Virginity Hit that reinforce the notion: “hey, awkward teens exploring sex — funny!” I’m suddenly reminded of 1984 and how freedom is slavery.

As the media craves more and more sexual tropes to display — because, let’s face it, sex sells — more haze and confusion is added to the endless number of stories about sex we’ve already been told. Raunchy films, such as American Pie, that retread the same awkward narrative of sexual blunders have only exacerbated the anxiety young people already experience with sex.

Instead of being a freely discussable topic, the salience of sex in the media is rapidly becoming a different kind of mass cultural repression, one where young people assume everyone knows all about sex and that anyone who doesn’t is a loser. The result is a prevalent pattern of silence and misinformation.

The recently released movie, The Virginity Hit, caused some controversy with billboards that read “Still a Virgin? For help call 888-743-4335.” Though obviously a publicity stunt to promote a movie following the trend of Superbad, Youth in Revolt and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, the rising grassroots popularity of The Virginity Hit reflects how the plotline popularized by American Pie has been ingrained in the cultural language we use to talk about sex.

It is far too common these days to hear someone reference a movie when explaining the social dynamics of sex, with names like Stifler mentioned ubiquitously among young people.

I’m all for enjoying First Amendment rights by putting out movies that expose topics previously deemed taboo, but the suffocating presence of the raunchy sex movie has blurred the lines between the “normal” sex story and the fictional one. With movies like The Virginity Hit and Easy A parading as pseudo-documentaries society is fed more sex stories that actually detract from healthy sex education.

The only thing these movies perpetuate is that the label “virgin” is akin to social leprosy.

Aristotle wrote that comedy functions by featuring characters the audience identify as inferior to themselves. The audience can then revel in their follies because they recognize and possess the traits those characters lack, and so can avoid those same follies.

But with more movies blurring the line between reality and fiction, creating characters that are promoted to be real, such as The Virginity Hit, the laughs become the result of tragic social schizophrenia. Instead of laughing off the characters in such movies, they become the fiber of the modern language of sex, with more audiences identifying unhealthily with such characters and adopting the value that one must lose his virginities at all costs to avoid the same plight.

With sexually themed movies so prominent in today’s society, the chances young people will exit those theaters admitting their own sexual ignorance is growing slimmer. No one wants to be the outcast who doesn’t get the sex jokes; the ignorant portion will remain silent or contribute with movie-based sexual misinformation to fill the void of real-life experience.

And which is more likely — that teens will seek the safe-sex education and risk exposing their ignorance or remain silent and jump at the chance to shed their perceived inexperience? The result is that these movies, originally works of fiction, cause their plots to play out in real life.

I admit, I enjoy lewd comedy now and then. It only bothers me to see that one awkward teenager in the audience leaving the theater, laughing nervously among his friends as they relive graphic points of the movie and proclaim their proud sexual achievements. It feels wrong that the awkward teen’s only two choices to avoid being a social outcast are silence or lying.

Today’s young people need a culture willing to educate about sex as much as the media is willing to joke about it.

Victor Luo is a senior majoring in English.

1. Cindy Miffelton
    Cindy Miffelton says:

Well young man,
    it looks like you are hitting the books. I can see you are getting a good education with your name drop of Aristotle and Freud. Bravo, keep reading, drinking ovaltine and messaging your scalp and I’m sure you will ace all of your classes. But I have a problem with your words.

I think your article is saying that young folks are learning the wrong things about sex from the media, and thus the media should be changed to be less confusing and inaccurate. I disagree because I think young folks should learn about sex from their family or in school, but not from the media.

When my son Melvin was 18, I sat him down in the kitchen and explained the birds and the bees with some naughty kitchen magnets I bought for the lesson. Now he was a sweating and squirming, because he wasn’t used to learn’n ’bout these things from his ma, but he got the honest truth. I’ve taught my youngins from very an early age that the media is full of fake and crazy business, and they have never been confused since.

A neighbor child who’s parents never taught him such things, well, he saw one of them superhero movies and jumped off the roof thinking he could fly. Luckily he landed on his unemployed father who was sunning himself on a towel, and that child survived, But I worry about all of you kids who are looking for the media to explain everything. You kids should not be jumping off a roof, sexually. You should have the truth. If your school and parents aren’t teaching you about the sex, I’m sure there are many mothers who can come to class and show you how things work. We could even bring our magnets!
    Well, that something to think about, I reackon.

2. Norman Rsenblood
    Norman Rsenblood says:

Your writer didn’t give Freud enough crdit.

He would also endorse having teens learn what is behind and undrneath the attraction of sexuality
    Such iformation might make some of them more reflecetive and prudent.

The higfh schools have failed the young by skirting the nature of sexuality. They have also wasted Freud’s wisdom..