Dinner and an opera in the most unlikely of places

In the 1930s, David Alfaro Siqueiros’ mural was deemed too controversial.

Photo courtesy of Rachel Shachar

Now, USC students will embrace the opera that tells his story. As part of a series of shows taking place in Los Angeles, America Tropical will be performed on campus free of charge at Parkside Restaurant on Saturday.

Though the location and free price seem questionable to some, the Chamber Opera of USC hopes to bring life to Siqueiros’ artistic journey and the variegated history of Los Angeles from 1781 to 1992 while exposing opera to students in a welcoming manner.

The show will be performed at Pico House and the Autry National Center with plans  for the performance dating back to as early as last semester.

The Visions and Voices Initiative decided to give the Chamber Opera of USC the rare opportunity to put on America Tropical, the opera whose libretto is written by Oliver Mayer. The organization strives to give undergraduates the chance to perform in shows on campus.

Their $20,000 grant and support from the Autry National Center and Mayer brought to life the plans for the opera directed by Nathan Singh, a 2010 USC alumnus and performed entirely by USC students.

“I knew that this wasn’t a traditional opera and my approach to it is not traditional by any means,” Singh said. “I’m excited to explore a new side of opera, one that is stripped down to just singers on-stage telling their powerful story through movement, working together as ensemble to create the community of L.A.’s past, present and future.”

The title is based on Siqueiros’ powerful mural “La America Tropical,” which was on display on the outside of the Plaza Art Center. With the help of about 20 other painters, the mural was complete in October in the early 1930s. But its contents — mainly the Indian figure crucified in the center — caused controversy and were soon snuffed out with white paint.

Now, Siqueiros’ works are receiving attention as America Tropical continues to bring exposure to his life and works. The opera weaves a story based on actual events and follows Siqueiros’ thoughts before painting his famous mural.

But Siqueiros’ political involvement went beyond simply painting polemical pieces. His political defiance landed him in a sticky situation including house arrest and exile. He was also once involved in a dangerous plan to kill Leon Trotsky.

His controversial story and background show the oftentimes difficult decision that viewers have to make about the work of artists. Should art fans ignore the questionable actions and ethics of Siqueiros in light of his expertise and artistic ability?

For Adrian Rosales, a first-year graduate student studying vocal arts (performance) who will play Siqueiros in the opera, portraying Siqueiros’ complex character will prove a beneficial challenge.

“Often times … you need to internalize a certain characteristic or quality within your character that may run counter to your own beliefs or personality,” Rosales said. “However, as you understand how these ideals and thoughts manifest themselves in your portrayal of a character and what part they play in the progression of a character’s story arc in the piece, you are able to broaden your horizons and understanding as a person and actor.”

Siqueiros’ art pieces profoundly echo this turbulent past and his deeply entrenched ideals. His piece show thick brushstrokes connecting dark paint with canvas, in a style that is both simplistic and raw.

The opera depicts a fairly modern story and will be performed in English to an intimate audience of 150 people. Both Rosales and Johnson expressed their great desire to introduce opera to students in a welcoming manner — something that Rosales describes as a “dream project” for him.

Rosales did not take opera lessons until the age of 13 and admitted that he himself held some preconceived misconceptions about the genre as a whole.

“I was under the impression that opera was a stuffy, arid, inaccessible art form,” he said. “As I became involved with the opera program, however, I learned that it could be edgy, kinetic, engaging, modern and, most importantly, real.”

For Marisa Johnson, a senior majoring in vocal arts (performance), the same holds true. She plays Maria in the play, a woman with a hidden secret who yearns to leave behind her past for the sunny welcoming arms of California.

She expressed that the point of the opera is to bring to light the turbulent events that shaped Siqueiros’ work.

“By having it in Parkside we are bringing it to the undergrads, putting it in their face and making it real to them,” Johnson said.

The performance also hopes to showcase Siqueiros’ intentions as an artist.

“One of his man goals was to do art for the public, not for some classy sophisticated box face,” Johnson said.

Singh encourages the audience to approach the opera without expectations.

“It’s not formulaic, but rather a meditation on this city,” he said.