Marshall professor chosen as editor of business journal

After teaching at the Marshall School of Business for more than 25 years, a marketing professor has been appointed editor-in-chief of the Journal of Marketing, a prestigious academic journal published by the American Marketing Association.

Beginning July 1, 2011, Gary Frazier will assume the role under a three-year contract.

Back in business · Gary Frazier, a professor at the Marshall School of Business, has been chosen as editor of the Journal of Marketing. - Photo courtesy of Gary Frazier

“My goal is to publish the best work we get. I want the Journal to continue to publish groundbreaking work,” Frazier said.

Frazier first began teaching at the Marshall in 1984. Since then, he’s taught at all levels and is currently teaching MBA and undergraduate students in the marketing department.

“I’ve loved every minute of it. The culture is so great — the students, faculty and the interactions I have with all of them are so incredible,” Frazier said.

In conjunction with teaching, Frazier has been conducting his own research at Marshall, focusing on how knowledge is transferred either through integration in the company or among sales people.

“We’re asking how [companies] ensure the information they want [sales people] to transfer to the consumer is being transferred,” Frazier said.

Before coming to USC, Frazier worked as a consultant for various companies, including General Electric, Coca-Cola and Microsoft, providing expert testimony for these organizations.

“I had reasonable business experience, but my consulting experience has been the most helpful in really learning how marketing is practiced,” Frazier said.

Frazier has been involved with the Journal of Marketing since 1980, when he first began reviewing articles. After serving on the editorial review board for the Journal for 24 years, Frazier became co-editor in 2009.

“All of my reviewing experience and role as a co-editor has been really critical in helping me attain the role I have now as editor,” Frazier said.

As editor of the Journal of Marketing, Frazier will assign three to four reviewers to all submitted articles, where there are several rounds of reviews, edits and recommendations. Ultimately, Frazier will read all articles that are recommended by the reviewers and make the final decision on whether they will be published.

Frazier said his goals for the journal include building its already strong platform, creating a more diverse readership by reaching out to the practitioner audience and being a spokesperson for the journal at conferences worldwide.

“[Frazier] wants to broaden the Journal in terms of getting the word out about what is going on in the marketing world and the important work that’s being done in the field,” said Christopher Bartone, managing editor of journals at the American Marketing Association.

One challenge that Frazier faces, however, is filling six issues a year with nine strong articles in each issue.

“I can’t publish weak articles, but I can’t be too conservative in what I publish either. We have to publish about 10 percent of what we get sent,” Frazier said.

Although Frazier said working under pressure might be one of his biggest fears, his peers believe he can handle the responsibility.

“[Frazier’s] really ambitious approach to the Journal will bring a sense of energy; he’s always engaged with the editors and authors,” Bartone said.

Richard Lutz, vice president of Publications at the American Marketing Association, said Frazier’s vision will help guide the publication and bridge the gap between academics and practitioners.

“[He’s] providing intellectual leadership by having some ideas about the kinds of papers he wants to see,” Lutz said.

With this new position as editor, Frazier said he will have to cut back his teaching schedule at USC, though he will not stop teaching altogether.

“I don’t want to give up teaching; I don’t want to lose touch with students,” Frazier said.

After his three years as editor are completed, Frazier said he plans on teaching at USC again full-time. He said that working as editor will enhance his teaching because he will be learning on the job.

“I’m so charged up about this job,” Frazier said. “This is the best thing that’s happened in my career so far.”