Michael Quick appointed USC executive vice provost

USC professor Michael Quick has been appointed to the position of executive vice provost, the second ranking administrator in the Office of the Provost.

Quick will work closely with Elizabeth Garrett, the provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, and will be responsible for advancing the undergraduate curriculum and enhancing the undergraduate experience.

Quick step · Michael Quick, the new executive vice provost, was the executive vice dean of the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences. - Dan Doperalski | Daily Trojan

The position of executive vice provost was previously held by Jean Morrison, who left USC to become provost at Boston University. Morrison had been on the faculty since 1988.

“To me, Michael represents the very best of USC’s faculty,” Garrett said. “He is a gifted academic administrator who has a vision that can move the university further toward its goals of academic excellence.”

As executive vice provost, Quick will play a key role in the university’s strategic planning process and will represent the provost in the academic program review process, Garrett said. He will also represent the provost on many committees regarding academic policies and procedures, the hiring of faculty, athletic-academic affairs, and curriculum.

Quick said he is excited about his new position and will still be able to continue many projects that he has been working on, but on a larger scale.

“In a way, a lot of the things I’m going to be doing are similar to what I’m doing in the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences,” Quick said. “Instead of solely working in the College, it’s going to be exciting working with a variety of schools and academic disciplines such as the theater, medical and public policy schools.”

Quick began working at USC as an associate professor of biological sciences in 2002.

He was then appointed as the vice dean for research in the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences and most recently worked as the executive vice dean of the college. He has also served as director of the Neuroscience Graduate Program.

When looking back on his career at USC, Quick said he is amazed at all he has accomplished.

“When I first started here, I had no idea I would come this far. I just wanted to teach undergraduates, which is really something that I really enjoy doing,” Quick said.

Quick will also be responsible for managing the progress of the Ph.D programs along with overseeing the Postdoctoral Fellowship Scholars program. He will oversee the Office of Undergraduate Programs, led by vice provost Gene Bickers, and the USC Graduate School, led by Vice Provost Sally Pratt, and the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Programs led by Associate Provost Eileen Kohan.

Quick said he is thrilled to begin his new position.

“I’m excited to help move USC forward,” Quick said. “I think I have one of the best jobs in the university.”