Five-star wide receiver commits to USC

The headline on Rivals.com’s USC website currently reads: “USC is still USC,” referencing the program’s recruiting dominance for much of the past decade, during which top-five classes were reeled in regularly. That dominance, it seems, is going to continue.

Despite USC football’s 8-5 season, the team’s sub-par performance on the field doesn’t appear to be having any adverse effects on the recruiting trail, as five-star wide receiver prospect George Farmer (Gardena, Calif.) committed to USC Friday night.

“I called up Coach [Lane] Kiffin and said I was ready to be a Trojan,” Farmer said in a story published on ESPN.com. “He was real excited and so was I and I’m ready to get there and help USC win a national championship. USC has great athletes, my boy [former high school teammate] Robert Woods is there and I just fit in really well there.”

Farmer, No. 4 in the Rivals100 and the No. 1 wideout in the country, was a teammate of Woods at Gardena Serra last year when the Cavaliers won a state championship.

“Farmer is not only a physically fantastic wide receiver, but also a fine safety prospect,” wrote ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Luginbill. “If he stays on offense and with USC’s limited numbers, he should see the field early and could be an impact player for quarterback Matt Barkley, just as Woods was this season.”

With more than 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns this season, Farmer anticipates success as well.

“I’m coming in to win national championships,” Farmer told Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times. “We’ve got a lot of talent there, a lot of five-star athletes. We’re coming and we’re going to do our thing and hopefully the sanctions won’t mess us up.”

So far, Farmer is the 17th commitment to USC’s class, which is now ranked 7th in the country by Rivals.com.

1. Trojan Football Fan
    Trojan Football Fan says:

Yes sirrr!!!

Since Auburn’s Heisman recipient has lots of controversy about him, shouldn’t USC be given an appeal? Make it fair NCAA! conducting witch-hunts on SC shows favoritism for the SEC.

We’ll be back.