Finding variation in exercise is key

Can exercising outside really improve your mental well being?

According to a recent study, the answer is yes.

But before you throw on a pair of sneakers and sunglasses, take a moment to reconsider this hypothesis.

On Feb. 3, Environmental Science and Technology published a study that analyzed how people felt after exercising both indoors and outdoors. Those exercising outdoors reported increased feelings of happiness and fewer feelings of anxiety or depression. The study ultimately concluded that there are immense mental and psychological benefits to exercising outdoors.

But this final statement is tenuous. Although the study provides a significant amount of evidence, it fails to acknowledge a number of factors that might hinder people from feeling as euphoric as the participants in the study did.

Let’s begin with the joys of nature. Indeed, nature has its scenic qualities, but it can also be downright irritating.

The outdoors flaunt some of the most hair-pulling-worthy terrain for the average jogger. It doesn’t matter how much you admire the natural world. Eventually, the countless spider webs, mosquitoes and hidden tree roots will find you.

Weather is another issue. During winter, most places see spikes in colder temperatures, which make it nearly impossible to enjoy an outdoor escapade.

Even summertime has its threats in the form of sunburns and heatstrokes.

If you’re like most people and aren’t constantly lathering on sunscreen, staying outside for an hour or two isn’t exactly the best way to care for yourself.

Even if the weather is perfect and the paths are clear, pedestrians and cars are two of the most frustrating challenges that can easily upset your mood.

To successfully complete a workout, you need to cross streets, avoid crowded routes and, above all, remain alert. If you’re a runner, be prepared for inconvenient stops and turns on crosswalks and narrow paths. If you’re a biker, be wary of passing cars and constrictive bike lanes.

When you opt for the outdoors, you’re also involuntarily agreeing to take almost nothing with you. To the gym, you can bring spare clothes, a water bottle, a cell phone and an iPod. But try comfortably carrying all of your necessities on a three-mile jog outside — you’re in for disappointment.

Although the study overlooks fairly common elements that can negatively affect your attitude for the worse, it still holds some merit in stressing the importance of changing up routine.

One of the major effects exercising outside had on the study’s participants was that it made them more excited for future outings. Though further studies should be conducted to determine the reliability of this connection, it is possible exercising outdoors might be a valuable tool in encouraging routine fitness.

Another reason the study’s findings were so positive is because it relied heavily on social interaction. It’s nearly impossible to talk to a friend and run on a treadmill at the same time, but being outside offers easier communication and fewer immediate distractions.

Outdoor exercise also lets you break away from that competitive feeling, which is so prominent in gym atmospheres. Not everybody should feel compelled to compare heart rates and dumbbell weights.

Finally, moving outdoors can encourage you to break away from technology. Sure, most of us still don an iPod and ear buds, even when heading outdoors, but at least you’re not glued to the TV or the flashy red lights on an elliptical station.

For now, don’t rely on a single study to tell you which environment is best for you. The best option is to simply incorporate a combination of both outdoor and indoor exercise. If you stick to the gym or that overused treadmill in your apartment, you’re bound to feel bored and claustrophobic.

But if you rely on the same route outside, what happens when the weather takes a turn for the worse?

Being able to adapt to either environment is the best way to stay healthy, both physically and mentally.

Hannah Muniz is a sophomore majoring in East Asian languages and cultures and creative writing. Her column, “Fit ‘n Fab,” runs Mondays.