Grassroot group wants to change to 8th District

Concerned South Los Angeles community members hoping to effect noticeable change in the 8th Council District’s economy, education and public safety have organized a group to bring their needs to the forefront in anticipation of Tuesday’s City of Los Angeles municipal elections.

Movement · Two members of the Eighth District Grassroots Rising spoke in January at the People’s Convention about community issues. - Murugappan Aroonachalam | Daily Trojan

Eighth District Grassroots Rising is an organization of members within the 8th Council District, which includes the USC area, that hopes to improve conditions in the area. EDGR was formed by leaders of the MA’AT Club for Community Change, another local grassroots organization in South Los Angeles.

The organization consists of leaders from local block clubs, neighborhood councils, social non-profits and other grassroots groups working together with area residents and businesses to demand a change in local government and district officials.

Greg Akili, a field director for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and an activist with EDGR, has lived in neighborhoods around South Los Angeles for 35 years and has seen the area undergo several changes. He said the issues of most concern include improving public safety, setting up a stronger public education system and providing effective health care to local residents.

Kokayi Kwa Jitahidi, the founder of the MA’AT Club and an activist in EDGR, agreed the struggle for jobs is one of the most pressing matters facing the district. He added that USC, as one of the area’s largest private employee, can assist by stressing local hiring initiatives in its upcoming projects.

The Rev. William Smart, another member of EDGR who lives in South Los Angeles and works for the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy, stressed the importance of grassroots organizations in accomplishing their goals. In a situation where elected officials are not accomplishing what the people of 8th District want, he said, the people must speak out.

“Stop giving them a pass,” Smart said. “We need to make our demands clear and hold our leaders accountable.”

With incumbent City Councilman Bernard Parks up for re-election in this year, the members of EDGR see the coming days as a perfect opportunity to spread the word about their desire for change in the community.

To bring about the changes they believe are necessary for the 8th District, members of EDGR have been organizing local meetings of constituents and contacting their elected representatives.

Akili said the area needs elected officials who will respond to constituents’ needs and work together with local residents to improve the communities of South Los Angeles in terms of both their economies and overall community development.

“Planning decisions used to be imposed on residents and constituents, and we were treated as burdens or barriers rather than partners,” said Kevin Fridlington, a local resident of Leimert Park. “Our government has the responsibility to respond to us, the people, and we have the opportunity to make sure that happens with these elections.”

Fridlington lived in Manhattan Beach and West Hollywood before moving to Leimert Park, and said communities such as those flourish because of their resident involvement and planning. He believes the communities of South Los Angeles have the potential to do the same if people can rise to the challenge.

EDGR first came together in response to what many of its members saw as unfair hardships facing residents and stakeholders in the district, one of the poorest and most underserved in Los Angeles. They have focused on raising awareness about residents’ various concerns, which include the economy, education and neighborhood safety.

In January, EDGR hosted a People’s Convention at the Galen Center that brought together leaders of various organizations and concerned residents. At the gathering, the group drafted a “People’s Agenda,” which listed the needs and priorities of the 8th District from the constituents’ point of view, and sent it to community leaders and government officials.

“It starts with a set of demands,” Akili said. “The first demand for me would be engagement and action, because this leads to change. We have to hold each other and our elected officials accountable.”

Despite the list of difficulties facing the residents of the district, Akili said grassroots organizations like EDGR have the ability to change the status quo for people who have grown accustomed to not having everything they need.

“This community has a long and rich history,” Akili said. “We have succeeded, despite the fact that there may be some areas that we’re not always proud of. It’s that success that we have to build on.”