USC women’s soccer to benefit from endowment

The USC women’s soccer program received its first ever gift of endowment thanks to generous donors within the Trojan Family.

The Mehdi Khosroshahin Head Soccer Coach Endowment will provide the salary for the university’s head soccer coach and begin a $14 million campaign to assist soccer student-athletes.

Winner · USC coach Ali Khosroshahin has led the women’s soccer team to four consecutive NCAA appearances, including a 2007 NCAA title. - Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan

“This generous gift of endowment is particularly significant to our soccer program as it marks the first gift of its kind to this sport,” USC Athletic Director Pat Haden told USCTrojans.com. “This endowment will go a long way in helping ensure the success of Trojan soccer for years to come.”

Mehdi Khosroshahin is the father of current USC coach Ali Khosroshahin, who is the only coach in Pac-12 history to win a national championship in women’s soccer.

A native of Iran, Mehdi taught his children the importance of academics and moved his family to the United States in the 1970s. The Khosroshahins eventually settled in California, where Mehdi saw both his children earn college degrees and develop a passion for the game of soccer.

“My dad got me here, and now he’s our number one fan,” said Ali Khosroshahin, who was only six years old when his family moved to the United States. “My dad was instrumental in giving me the work ethic where you do whatever you can do for your family. That’s the kind of lesson that we try to teach our players.”

Since taking over the coaching job in 2007, Khosroshahin has led USC to four straight NCAA appearances, including its first NCAA championship in program history during his first year.

1. soccer in the woodlands
    soccer in the woodlands says:

The success of Ali Khosroshahin’s teams at USC, and the USA team as well, are finally giving women’s soccer its due. It’s been a long time in coming, but with endowments like this, American women’s soccer will become a dominant world force.