Obama moves address after push from Boehner

President Barack Obama’s jobs speech to Congress will take place next Thursday around 5 p.m. PST, after a public disagreement with House Speaker John Boehner when the president initially scheduled his address Wednesday night.

Wednesday night is the first time that Congress returns to Washington after Labor Day, and is also the slated time slot for a Republican presidential nominee debate. Boehner rejected Obama’s request to address Congress on Wednesday, saying there would not be enough time that night due to logistical and parliamentary concerns.

“With the significant amount of time, typically more than three hours, that is required to allow for a security sweep of the House chamber before receiving a president, it is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening,” Boehner wrote to the president in a public series of letters about the scheduling conflict.

Obama’s new time slot will now conflict with the NFL opening game at 5:30 p.m. PST, when the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers will go head to head. NBC has said it is working on a resolution with the White House to ensure that the game will go on as scheduled.

In his speech, the president will speak to Congress about his proposal to add jobs and fix the economy as the United States continues to lag in its recovery from the recession.

The Republican party debate is the first time that Texas Gov. Rick Perry will formally face his other presidential opponents since announcing his candidacy in August.