Singer conquers hurdles

Roughly 10 years ago, beloved house music titan David Guetta was just beginning to make his mark on what would become the popular electronic music scene. One major factor in his rise to success, unbeknownst to many, was the powerhouse vocals and stylistic songwriting of Chris Willis, an American singer-songwriter known for his intense vocal range.

On top · Singer Chris Willis is becoming a force to reckon with in the electronic music scene. His latest project “Premium (Songs From the Love Ship) Part 1” dropped today — two more EPs will follow in the near future. - Photo courtesy of Shock Ink

Willis is featured on numerous well-known tracks spread throughout Guetta’s discography, including the classics “Love Don’t Let Me Go,” “Love Is Gone,” “Tomorrow Can Wait” and 2010’s smash-hit single, “Gettin’ Over You,” for which he received a Broadcast Music Inc. award.

Willis’ unprecedented success in the electronic music industry might come as a shock to those who know his life story. It all started in Dayton, Ohio, where Willis was raised in a community that took pride in their gospel music.

According to Willis, this style of upbringing built the foundation for his present success because of the massive role music played in his life from an early age. But Willis was not born with golden pipes; it took a lot of practice, disappointment and perseverance to land him where he is now.

From an early age, Willis was part of his local church’s choir, learning to sing gospel music. Eventually, Willis recorded his first solo gospel album on a Warner Brothers record label, but the label decided not to release it.

“‘No one knows your name so we’re not going to release this project’ [was what they said to me], and that was the biggest disappointment of my life,” Willis said. “That was a big blow from the gospel industry.”

Willis had faith in the industry as a whole, however, knowing he had what it took to make it and unwilling to part ways with the music he adored. He recorded another gospel album on a smaller record label, which was released, but lacked enough reception from the public for him to stay on the label.

Willis recalls the common record label perspective that came down to something as simple as supply and demand.

“The artists that were selling a lot of records remained on the label, and those of us that weren’t were dropped,” Willis said.

It was after this second blow from the gospel music industry that Willis gave himself permission to leave the industry to pursue other music styles he was already writing and performing. Willis did his best to stay positive with his experiences in the industry.

“It was a very agonizing journey, but it was a very fruitful one nonetheless,” Willis said.

Working as an apprentice under influential producer Desmond Child, Willis went to France to help produce the first English language album of French boy band 2Be3 in an attempt to break the group into the growing American boy band market.

Willis was introduced to French DJ and producer David Guetta by one of the band members. Swiftly and suddenly, Willis’ world turned upside down, returning to a recording studio with Guetta and producer Joachim Garraud the same night to write and record Guetta’s first hit single, “Just a Little More Love.” And that was only the beginning of Willis’ blooming career in electronic music.

Willis’ talents span much further than his incredible ability to leave listeners in awe with his powerful vocals. In 10 years of working with David Guetta, Willis co-wrote six of the 13 tracks on Guetta’s debut album Just a Little More Love, six of the 12 tracks on Guetta Blaster, four of the 12 tracks on Pop Life and many more.

His muse for songwriting became the dance floor. The mood of the dark, dimly lit floor and the concept of boy meets girl are common themes in his songwriting, and he even goes so far as to connect this muse with his foundation in gospel ideals.

“It’s almost like a religion where you can go to exorcise your demons. People that come to the club, they do it almost religiously,” Willis said. “It’s a commitment. … You pay your money, you put something in and you get something out.”

It’s obvious people love the songs Willis has contributed to. The first of three solo EPs, titled “Premium (Songs from the Love Ship) Part 1,” will be released today. Willis has already released two singles off of the EP: “Louder (Put Your Hands Up),” which has been steadily climbing dance music charts, and “Too Much in Love,” which serves as Willis’ homage to Lenny Kravitz.

Willis has faced his fair share of disappointment over the course of his career, but his latest release is his next big break. EP “Premium (Songs From the Love Ship) Part 1” is sure to please music fans of all backgrounds.