Students say new Fresh & Easy addresses need for close grocer

A Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market grocery store is slated to open for the holiday season around either December or January, according to University Gateway.

Market value · Superior Grocers is the closest supermarket to campus. The opening of Fresh & Easy Neighbor Market is slated for the end of the semester. - Mannat Saini | Daily Trojan

Construction of the store, which will be the fourth in the Los Angeles area,  began Tuesday at University Gateway, amid great student interest and anticipation.

It has been speculated the new store will attract customers from university students living on the south side of campus.

Though Ralphs is situated about a half-mile away from campus and a Superior Grocers is available in University Village, student shoppers have vocalized the need for a more conveniently located grocery store near campus.

“A grocery store at Gateway would be very optimal for students living on campus, especially freshmen who don’t have cars to go to Ralphs or Target,” said Rip Singh, a sophomore majoring in business administration. “There aren’t a lot of options for students around USC to get groceries so it should alleviate that demand a bit.”

Johann Manning, a freshman majoring in business administration, said Fresh & Easy would provide a more student-oriented supermarket.

“I like the idea of a grocery store more for students that is somewhere in between the dining dollar system of Seeds, which is way too expensive, and Superior, which usually doesn’t carry quality produce,” Manning said.

Gabrielle Miller, an undecided freshman, said she believes there is no need for another supermarket near the USC campus.

“I don’t think it’s necessary because we have Superior at University Village, which isn’t too far away,” Miller said. “If they opened a Target there, that would be a very different story.”

Fresh & Easy’s proximity to campus and the variety of food it will offer will attract students, said Anandi Hira, a graduate student studying computer science.

“Having a grocery store right next to campus will be nice,” Hira said. “I will probably start shopping at the Fresh & Easy instead of going to Superior, which has fewer and lower quality produce in my opinion.”

1. Jon
    Jon says:

Downtown residents have been craving an alternative to Ralphs Fresh Fare. I wonder how many of them will head south on the Expo Line to shop at Fresh & Easy.

How does this affect a potential Trader Joe’s at The Village?

2. Anon
    Anon says:

FYI there is a Target opening soon downtown at 7th & Fig which students can get to via light rail when the expo line opens in the next month or two.