Oraby’s transfer is official

Former Rice center Omar Oraby has officially transferred to USC, the school announced Monday.

“We are excited that Omar Oraby has joined the team and think he will fit in quickly,” USC coach Kevin O’Neill said in a statemet. “His size and ability to score inside and block shots will make an immediate impact. He is a great student with a 3.7 GPA in civil engineering at Rice. He has a very bright future.”

Oraby, a 7-foot-2 junior from Cairo, Egypt, adds more depth to a frontline featuring two other seven-foot centers — junior Dewayne Dedmon and senior James Blasczyk.

Oraby was used sparingly as a freshman, appearing in 16 games for the Owls. As a sophomore, he logged 396 minutes in 34 games, setting the school’s single season blocks record with 54. He averaged six points and 3.6 rebounds while shooting 63 percent from the floor and 71 percent on free throws.

Oraby, who began taking classes Monday, will apply for a hardship waiver so he can play for the Trojans this season. Hardship waivers are typically granted for financial or medical reasons involving a player or his family. If Oraby is not granted the waiver, he will have two years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2013-14 season.