HAUTE HIGHLIGHTS

CicLAvia

Sunday, Oct. 7 from 10 a.m – 3 p.m.

Various locations

Feeling restricted by the crowded Trousdale bike lanes? Head to Downtown this weekend for CicLAvia, a city-wide event that gives bike lovers room to roam.

Now celebrating its fifth year, CicLAvia originated in Bogota, Colombia more than 30 years ago in order to provide a temporary reprieve from pollution and traffic congestions. In Los Angeles, however, CicLAvia plans to shut down several major roads — including South Figueroa Street, Seventh Street, Spring Street and Fourth Street — as hundreds of cyclists use a more eco-friendly mode of transportation Sunday.

But even if you don’t have a specific destination in mind, CicLAvia will host several events in Exposition Park, Chinatown and Grand Park. Grab a snack from one of the many food tables at Grand Park or register to vote with Rock the Vote as you pedal through Downtown.

With no cost to attend the many events, CicLAvia provides a cheap way to explore Los Angeles and burn off some extra calories.

Angel City Jazz Festival

Friday, Oct. 5 – Sunday, Oct. 14

Various times

Various locations

You don’t have to be a Thornton student to take advantage of Los Angeles’ thriving jazz scene.

The Angel City Jazz Festival kicks off its week-long run at 6 p.m. this weekend with the Anthony Lucca Quintet at LACMA. The festival’s theme this year is “Honoring and Breaking with Lineage,” so contemporary performers such as Anthony Wilson, Bill Frisell and the Ambrose Akinmusire Quintet will honor their mentors through music even as they showcase their own unique talents.

For most events, ticket prices start at $35, but the festival offers a discounted student price of $17. Feel free to pick and choose what events you attend, but with such low prices, taking advantage of all that the festival has to offer shouldn’t be too expensive.

An additional bonus: USC Professor Peter Erskine performs Sunday, Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. at John Anson Ford Amphitheatre.

Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

Saturday, Oct. 6 at 2 p.m.

Will Rogers State Historic Park

You might not know the rules of the game, but you surely know the rules of civility: So pop some bubbly and throw on your Sunday’s best — the Polo Classic is coming to town!

Equine enthusiasts will welcome the sport back into the SoCal spotlight. Fans of flowing champagne, lawn parties and floppy hats will experience a whole new level of ritzy nirvana.

Style guides and a merchandise preview are available online at VCPoloClassic.com should you feel the need to plan ahead for the all-day event.

29th Annual Hollywood Forever Cemetery Walking Tour

Saturday, Oct. 6 at 10 a.m.

600 Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood

Everyone’s favorite cemetery, Hollywood Forever, has once again resurrected a favorite Halloween tradition.

The two-hour walking tour is a comprehensive lesson in Hollywood history, sampling from the tombstones that have resided in the cemetery for up to 113 years.

The whole tour takes place in broad daylight, which makes the experience no less spooky. Plus, you’ll leave Hollywood Forever having filled your weekend’s quota of exercise and education.

Florence + the Machine

Sunday, Oct. 7 at 8 p.m.

Hollywood Bowl

“Shake it out” with the talented rock redhead Florence Welch on Sunday night during the first of her two highly-anticipated Hollywood Bowl performances.

Welch, with her booming, hollering vocals, is as strong a performer as any to fill the vast expanse around the Bowl. If you can swing a ticket to either show, you’re in for a real treat.

Akram Khan Company: Vertical Road

Friday, Oct. 5, and Saturday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m.

Royce Hall at UCLA

Though the NBC broadcast of the 2012 London Olympics missed the choreographer’s dance segment, Angelenos still get a chance to view Akram Khan’s work at Royce Hall this weekend.

For his latest show, Vertical Road, Khan casts dancers from Europe, Asia and the Middle East for a riveting performance based on Sufi traditions and the work of poet and philosopher Rumi. Through powerful, abstract choreography, the production dives deep into questions of human nature and global behaviors.

Though viewing the show means traveling into rival UCLA territory, Vertical Road is sure to be well worth it. Just make sure to throw up the “Fight On” sign as you enter the auditorium.