Student Affairs VP to step down in June

Vice President for Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson will resign June 30, President C. L. Max Nikias announced Monday in a letter addressed to the USC community.

Legendary leader · Vice President for Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson announced Monday that he will resign after 18 years at USC. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Legendary leader · Vice President for Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson announced Monday that he will resign after 18 years at USC. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The provost’s office will conduct a national search to fill the position of vice president for student affairs soon, according to the letter. Jackson will take a one-year sabbatical from USC and return as emeritus vice president and executive director of International Advancement. He will also continue to teach in the Rossier School of Education.

“For 18 years, Dr. Jackson has served in this key leadership role with tremendous distinction, assisting the university in its efforts to become a top destination for students around the world, as well as a fully residential university,” Nikias said in the letter. “Dr. Jackson has touched countless students with his vision and compassion, and I know the entire USC community joins me in commending his outstanding service.”

Jackson oversaw key changes to the university, including the expansion of several Programs in Student Affairs, such as the Career Center and Orientation programs, as well as the construction of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Residential College at Parkside and the Arts and Humanities Residential College. His department also added the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Center, the Office of Veterans and Transfer and the Office of Parent Programs. As vice president for student affairs, Jackson’s department oversees the Office of Student Publications, which includes the Daily Trojan.

At a “What Matters to Me and Why” event last year, Jackson said he believes part of God’s plan is that love gets actualized when communities care for one another.

“How I go about spreading this love is the work I do in this role as a vice president for student affairs at USC,” Jackson said. “I work with the goal of providing environments that allow others to thrive and fulfill their dreams and their hopes so they can go out and spread peace and love.”

Many student organizations have felt the impact of Jackson’s influence.

“He’s been inspirational and a visionary for the university,” said Graduate Student Government President Yael Adef. “It’s going to be a tremendous loss to the student body.”

Undergraduate Student Government President Mikey Geragos said Jackson’s achievements at USC speak for themselves.

“It caught me by surprise because he’s been such a staple at this university for such a while,” Geragos said. “It’s sad for me to see him go … and [these accomplishments] really show his dedication to the university.”

Nikias wrote that Jackson’s contributions have shaped the direction of the university for years to come.

“As we acknowledge Dr. Jackson’s stellar service to USC, we wish him continued success in the next phase of his career,” Nikias said in his statement. “His contributions to this university are both extensive and exceptional, and for this, we are all truly grateful.”