Schwarzenegger stresses effects of climate change

A draft of the National Climate Assessment Report took center stage Monday in a public comment forum focusing on climate change and its impact on issues ranging from water supplies to rising sea levels.

Focus · Arnold Schwarzenegger urged the importance of recognizing climate change on Monday at the Price School of Public Policy. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Focus · Arnold Schwarzenegger urged the importance of recognizing climate change on Monday at the Price School of Public Policy. — Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The forum, hosted by former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and the USC Schwarzenegger Institute in partnership with the USC Center for Sustainable Cities, brought together some of the nation’s most prominent scientists and local leaders to discuss the effects of climate change. The forum’s goal was to not only raise awareness about the NCAR, but also to elevate the discussion beyond the paper and into the lives and minds of policymakers, opinion leaders and constituents.

During the opening remarks, Schwarzenegger stressed the importance of listening to the voices of our nation’s experts on the pivotal issue of climate change, likening their diagnosis to the opinions one would receive from a doctor after a yearly physical.

“If we are smart, we listen to our doctors, and if we are stupid, we ignore our doctors and it takes a heart attack to realize that we should listen,” Schwarzenegger said. “The National Climate Assessment Report is our physical and these scientists can give us a prescription for what we need to do to improve our climate. It is our duty to listen to them and encourage action — action all over the country.”

Hilda Blanco, interim director of the Center for Sustainable Cities and professor at the Price School, reached out to the Price School following the release of a draft of the NCAR and asked them to hold a public comment session to draw more attention to the report before the period for public comment expires on April 12.

The panel of experts featured a variety of scientists who discussed the staggering impact of climate change on the Southwestern region of the United States. The primary topics covered included melting sea ice, increasing wildfires, declining water supply, increasing risk of health problems and threats to coastal populations in the form of floods and erosion.

Following a presentation by each scientist, the floor was opened to public comments from a variety of stakeholders who shared their strategies for both adapting to and altering the impacts of climate change. Strategies shared included influencing policymakers, increasing public partcipation, building more energy-efficient homes and better managing of shared resources such as water.

Axel Hellman, a freshman majoring in policy, planning and development, said it was inspiring to see important figures in the political and scientific community reach out to the public.

“It was good to see Governor Schwarzenegger speak, and the scientists had very important things to say about getting the public to pay attention to [climate change],” Hellman said. “I’m very glad that this sort of event is happening to address that challenge.”

Pablo Mondal, a doctorate student studying management and organization, said the data presented was powerful motivation for action.

“The more focus you have on the data, the better,” Mondal said. “The most helpful part is when the scientists talk about specific applications, so that the issue seems real.”

Following the event, Schwarzenegger sent a letter to members of Congress urging them to listen to the findings presented at the public forum comment and take action.

“It is more than clear that the science is in, the debate is over and the time for bold action is now,” Schwarzenegger said. “This report is our wake-up call — please consider its message and find a path forward.”

Schwarzenegger will be returning to the university on April 30 to host a bipartisan immigration reform forum.

1. Zooey
    Zooey says:

As a third generation alumnus of the University of Southern California, I’d suggest you all think about where you last saw these words: Faithful, Scholarly, Skilful, Courageous, Ambitious. Then consider this:We are Trojans, not chumps. Given his track record as a human being, the former governor is doing us no honor with his money nor his pontifications. Any Bruin would agree… with me… do you? Now, let’s get back to addressing climate change.

Fight On!

2. Adam
    Adam says:

Arnold has learned a lot from Hollywood and his time spent as governor. This was political theater at its best.

3. Babu G. Ranganathan
    Babu G. Ranganathan says:

ONLY LIMITED EVOLUTION POSSIBLE IN NATURE

All real evolution in nature is within limits. The genes already exist for micro-evolution (variations within a biological kind such as varieties of dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc.), but not for macro-evolution (variations across biological kinds such as from sea sponge to human). The unthinking environment has no ability to design or program entirely new genes. Only variations of already existing genes and traits are possible. A dog will always be a dog no matter how many varieties come into being.

Evolutionists hope and assume that, over millions of years, random mutations (accidental changes) in the genetic code caused by radiation from the environment will produce entirely new genes for entirely new traits in species for natural selection to use, so that macro-evolution occurs. It’s much like hoping that, if given enough time, randomly changing the sequence of letters in a cook book will turn the book into a romance novel, or a book on astronomy!

Another problem for macro-evolution is the issue of survival of the fittest. How can a partially evolved species be fit for survival? A partially evolved trait or organ that is not complete and fully functioning from the start will be a liability to a species, not a survival asset. Plants and animals in the process of macro-evolution would be unfit for survival.

Imagine an evolving fish having part fins and part feet, with the fins evolving into feet. Where’s the survival advantage? It can’t use either fins or feet efficiently. These fish exist only on automobile bumper stickers!

In fact, how could species have survived at all while their vital organs were supposedly evolving? Survival of the fittest (aka natural selection) may explain how species survive, due to minor variations and adaptations to the environment, but not how they originated. Natural selection doesn’t produce biological traits or variations. It can only “select” from biological variations that are possible. The real issue is what biological variations are possible, not natural selection.

Genetic and biological similarities between species are no proof of common ancestry. Such similarities are better and more logically explained due to a common Genetic Engineer or Designer (yes, God) who designed similar functions for similar purposes in various species. Genetic information, like other forms of information, cannot arise by chance, so it’s more rational to believe that DNA or genetic similarities between species are due to intelligent design.

What about “Junk” DNA? The latest science shows that “Junk DNA” isn’t junk after all! It’s we who were ignorant of how useful these segments of DNA really are. Recent scientific research published in scientific journals such as Nature and RNA has revealed that the “non-coding” segments of DNA are essential in regulating gene expression (i.e. how, when, and where genes are expressed in the body).

All the fossils that have been used to support human evolution have ultimately been found to be either hoaxes, non-human, or human, but not human and non-human.

All species in the fossil record and living are complete, fully-formed, and fully functional. There’s no macro-evolution in nature.

Visit my newest Internet sites, THE SCIENCE SUPPORTING CREATION and WAR AMONG EVOLUTIONISTS (2nd Edition)

Sincerely,
    Babu G. Ranganathan
    (B.A. Bible/Biology)

Author of the popular Internet article, TRADITIONAL DOCTRINE OF HELL EVOLVED FROM GREEK ROOTS
    *I have given successful lectures (with question and answer period afterwards) defending creation before evolutionist science faculty and students at various colleges and universities. I’ve been privileged to be recognized in the 24th edition of Marquis “Who’s Who in The East” for my writings on religion and science.

4. Russell Cook (@questionAGW)
    Russell Cook (@questionAGW) says:

Did we see anywhere in the panelists’ discussion of exactly how the regulation of CO2 and the sequestration of it underground promotes any kind of energy usage efficiency, improved resource management, and cleaner energy?

5. Rich K
    Rich K says:

If you think it out, there was acid rain in prehistorical times and no industrial complex to blame. The interjection is contemporary, and prostituted by people like ex-Vice President Al Gore to make money. The instinces of global warming and cooling have littered human history, but it’s the opportunists who have used the notion for financial advantage. There in lies the political and economic substance of this issue.

6. ra
    ra says:

scientists had very important things to say about getting the public to pay attention to [climate change]

About time that americans start accepting climate change as a global threat.

Hope they stop boycotting any attempt by the rest of the world to prevent climate change

7. Babu G. Ranganathan
    Babu G. Ranganathan says:

GLOBAL WARMING MAY NOT BE MAN MADE

Dr. Larry Vardiman (scientist and physicist) of the Institue for Creation Research says:

“One possible scenario may be found in a recent series of articles by Henrik Svensmark and Nigel Marsh, cosmic ray specialists from Denmark, who have shown an indirect connection between galactic cosmic ray (GCR) intensity and global temperature.7,8,9 They are studying the influence of the Sun on the flow of GCR to Earth. The Sun’s changing sunspot activity influences the magnetosphere surrounding the Earth permitting more GCR to strike the Earth during high periods of activity.

When the Sun is active, the intensity of GCR striking the Earth is increased, causing more ionization in the atmosphere, creating more carbon-14, and possibly creating more cloud condensation nuclei (CCN). This increase in CCN, in turn, appears to create more low-level clouds which cool the Earth. When the Sun is quiet the GCR intensity striking the Earth is reduced, allowing the Earth to warm. Svensmark and Marsh have shown a striking statistical correlation between sunspot activity and global cooling and warming over the past 1000 years.

The recent rise in global temperature may partially be due to current low solar activity supplemented by a recent increase in carbon dioxide concentration measured at Mauna Loa. The connection which still needs further study is the production of CCN and clouds by GCR.”

There is a good deal of science showing that global warming is not mad made. Yes, we still should have pollution controls, as we already do, but not to the extreme because it will unnecessarily hurt business.

Visit my newest Internet site: THE SCIENCE SUPPORTING CREATION

Babu G. Ranganathan
    B.A. Bible/Biology

Author of popular Internet article, TRADITIONAL DOCTRINE OF HELL EVOLVED FROM GREEK ROOTS