UPDATE 12:35 p.m. — One victim was in critical condition on Saturday morning after a shooting at The Lorenzo apartments on Friday night, LAPD reported.
LAPD’s investigation was still underway, and no possible suspects had been identified according to Sgt. Gina Holmstrom of LAPD’s Newton Community Station.
UPDATE 3:45 a.m. — A search for the suspect in a shooting at The Lorenzo apartments was still underway at 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, officials reported.
A Trojan Alert sent at 1:44 a.m. announced that it was safe to resume normal activities at The Lorenzo.
“The information we have now is that there might have been some sort of argument on a fourth floor patio,” said Lt. Jon Pinto of LAPD’s Newton Community Station.
Two gun shots were fired at the victim, who was transported to a nearby hospital and was reported to be in surgery at 2 a.m. Saturday, Pinto said.
The building was placed on lockdown while LAPD officers conducted a sweep of hallways and the parking structure.
12:30 a.m. — USC’s Dept. of Public Safety issued a Trojans Alert at 11:37 p.m. Friday night for a shooting at The Lorenzo apartment building. The alert urged students to shelter in place until the incident was resolved.
DPS Deputy Chief David Carlisle said that one non-USC student was injured. He said the shooting occurred in an apartment that was not rented by anyone affiliated with USC.
Carlisle said a possible suspect was seen running from the location and was still at large. He added that the size of the apartment complex complicated the search.
Though little information was initially available, Carlisle said that the Los Angeles Police Department was conducting an investigation and that students should stay away from the area.
Editor’s note: This story will be updated with more information as this story develops.