Sarkisian’s 2015 recruiting class poised to be among the top in the nation

After an up-and-down first season with a new coach, the Trojans head into their offseason with optimism. With starting quarterback Cody Kessler returning for his senior season and a litany of young, talented skill players, the Trojans are headed in the right direction. That momentum has translated to the high school recruiting scene.

One year ago, head coach Steve Sarkisian was able to land a consensus top-15 recruiting class. The 19-man 2014 class ultimately produced impact players such as Adoree’ Jackson, Juju Smith, Toa Lobendahn, Damien Mama, Viane Talamaivao, Bryce Dixon and John Plattenburg, all of whom saw significant playing time this past season. Not only did the current coaching staff close strongly last National Signing Day, they did it in a couple of months under scholarship limitations.

This time around, Steve Sarkisian and staff are aiming higher than a top-15 class. For the first time since 2010, USC will be able to assemble a full recruiting class of 25 players. The 2015 crop of players out of California is said by recruiting experts to be one of the strongest in recent years. Furthermore, the relative lack of depth across the board has made USC an even more attractive option for blue-chip high school football prospects.

Every football team starts with the quarterback position. The 2015 recruiting class includes two quarterbacks, each with contrasting styles. Ricky Town, a former Alabama commit, was converted  by Steve Sarkisian and his staff. Town, a pro-style quarterback, has been one of the leaders of the 2015 class and an active presence for USC at the national recruiting camps. Sam Darnold, another quarterback commit, breaks the mold of the traditional USC pocket quarterback. Darnold is more of a dual-threat quarterback who often likes to make plays outside of the pocket with both his arm and his feet.

Last year’s recruiting class consisted of very talented offensive linemen. This year’s class will likely do more of the same and add depth to the offensive line as the Trojans look to utilize a hurry-up, no-huddle offense. The 2015 offensive line class is headlined by Chuma Edoga, from Powder Springs, Georgia. In addition to Edoga, the class looks to include offensive linemen Clayton Johnston, Roy Hemsley and Cole Smith.

With redshirt junior tailback Javorius “Buck” Allen leaving for the NFL draft, the running back depth chart dwindles to two scholarship running backs, Tre Madden and Justin Davis. As a result, the USC coaching staff looks to sign three very different running backs. Aca’Cedric Ware, is a physical, between-the-tackles runner who averaged above 8 yards per carry in high school. Dominic Davis, a smaller player, is the speedster of the running back class. Davis’ catching ability allows the offensive staff the flexibility to use him as a slot receiver in certain formations. The third running back of the USC 2015 recruiting class is Ronald Jones II. Jones, a hybrid of Davis and Ware, has the durability to run between the tackles as well as the speed and vision to make big plays in the running game.

Even with the loss of Nelson Agholor and George Farmer to the NFL, it appears the USC coaches look to only add two wide receiver recruits. Both De’Quan Hampton and Isaac Whitney are junior college recruits with two and three years of eligibility respectively. Both receivers are similar in that each is more than 6 feet tall, which is a necessity for an offense that throws many bubble screens.

Rounding out the offensive recruits is Tyler Petite, a tight end from California. Originally committed to Duke, Petite switched his commitment to USC. For an offense with only two scholarship tight ends, Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick and Bryce Dixon, the commitment of Petite was crucial from a depth standpoint.

In the current college football landscape, which includes hurry-up offenses and zone read running attacks, it is imperative to have a strong defensive line. The 2015 defensive line class includes the current commitments of Noah Jefferson, Christian Rector and Jacob Daniel. Daniel has the size to occupy multiple blockers and clog running lanes, Rector is seen as a rush defensive end with a high motor, and Jefferson is an athletic 280-pounder who can get to the quarterback and stop the run. Furthermore, USC appears to be the heavy favorite to land Rasheem Green, a five-star defensive tackle from the Los Angeles area. With the loss of Leonard Williams, USC will need the 2015 recruits to make an impact on the defensive line within the next two years.

In defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox’s 3-4 defensive scheme, the linebackers play the most important role: they are called upon to make tackles in the run game and also cover tight ends and receivers out of the back field. As a result, linebackers must be big enough to tackle and shed blockers while still being agile enough to drop into coverage. The 2015 linebacker class looks to do just that. Currently, USC has commitments from Cameron Smith and Osa Masina. Smith is more of a punisher and built in the mold of Hayes Pullard, the Trojans’ leading tackler. Masina, at 6 feet 4 inches and weighing around 230 pounds, is an incredibly fluid athlete for his size. The Trojans are also in the driver’s seat for two other highly regarded linebacking recruits, Porter Gustin and John Houston. Gustin, also at 6 feet 5 inches, is a very physical player with great pass rushing ability. Houston is an incredibly athletic linebacker with great coverage and pass rushing ability. Should USC close both Gustin and Houston, it would allow Justin Wilcox greater flexibility to disguise coverages and blitzes.

This past season, the USC secondary started cornerback Jackson and safety Plattenburg as true freshmen. The 2014 secondary class made an instant impact, and this year’s class looks poised to do the same. As of now, USC has commitments from cornerback Isaiah Langley and safety prospects Marvell Tell and Ykili Ross, all three athletic. Tell and Ross, in particular, have great size at safety. Both players are more than 6 feet tall; their length, speed and ball skills would make it difficult for opposing teams to throw the ball over the top of the defense. Additionally, the Trojans remain in contention to land Iman Marshall, a five-star cornerback widely regarded as the top defensive back in the country. Marshall, a Long Beach native and former teammate of Juju Smith, would solidify a secondary many analysts consider amongst the best in college football.

USC’s first full recruiting class in years looks poised to be amongst the very best. The 2015 recruiting class is projected to be in the top three, and will be a cornerstone in USC’s quest for a 12th national championship.