Fraternities should refrain from offensive party themes

On the evening of Jan. 26, the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity at USC threw a party unofficially themed “Colonial Bros and Navajos.” While the theme was changed on the day of to “Colonial Bros and Western Hoes,” it did little to change the interpretation of the theme. Some partygoers donned Native American headdresses as their counterparts dressed in collared shirts and other related attire. While the party was held for the purpose of having fun, it was based on ideas of racism, misogyny and insensitivity.

Several layers of insensitivity are underscored in the theme Colonial Bros and Navajos. First, the idea of dressing up as Navajos, especially considering the Native American population that attends USC, is offensive in its own right. Just as the idea of painting one’s face black is inconceivable, dressing up as a Native American group should similarly be off-limits. What took it even further was the juxtaposition of this minority group with the colonials, a population that participated in the systematic mass murdering of Native American groups.

Fraternity leaders need to consider the implications when deciding on party themes. Additionally, the channels for approving parties need to be properly addressed to ensure standards are met.

There is a specific set of guidelines that fraternities follow to throw a party. A house is assigned a date and a meeting must be held seven days prior  to review party details including security, alcohol and other logistics. During that registration time, a house needs to present the theme for approval. According to Interfraternity Council President Jake Simon, Lambda Chi Alpha had presented a theme that was different from the one that was ultimately displayed at the actual party.

According to Simon, IFC had no awareness of the change until after an anonymous student reached out to complain about the party. Generally, in the event that a fraternity opts to change an aspect of its party, including the theme, the change must be submitted to IFC and the university. Lambda Chi Alpha on the other hand changed the theme of their party a couple days prior, without alerting either entity. Even the third theme change, “Colonial Bros and Western Hoes,” maintains strong undertones of racism and misogyny. On his own opinion about that particular theme, Simon said, “that is not the notion we want to put out there. That is not what we [IFC] are about.”

In response to the event, IFC has decided to conduct its own investigation in accordance with Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards, as the party could possibly have violated IFC standards. In addition, the fraternity was instructed to contact its national office.

Responsibility to community standards falls short in an environment of peer pressure, as opinions of dissension are stifled. Moreover, a lack of oversight diminishes accountability. The investigation, though, will hopefully illuminate the need of community members to uphold community standards even on the individual level.

While the issue of insensitive party themes might fall into the area of freedom of speech, a protection from policy should not be interpreted as a green light. There should be less focus on celebrating differences and hate; a party need not be offensive to be enjoyable.

Considering how diverse USC is, with 67 percent of the population identifying with a race other than Caucasian, including 23 percent of students who are international, no student should be marginalized by hyperbolic stereotypes. That idea is counterintuitive to the mission of USC, and tactlessness encourages exclusion.

There should be no tolerance for intolerance, especially with regard to a choice in something as frivolous as a party theme. While there should be a space for the Greek system to continue throwing parties and creating social engagement, there should be no space for insensitivity.

1. matt
    matt says:

Please explain how the title “colonial bros and western hoes” has the slightest undertone of racism. Would the harmless theme of cowboys and Indians be too “insensitive” as well? You said Some partygoers donned “Native American headdresses as their counterparts dressed in collared shirts and other related attire.” Where do you get this information to make this claim? Were you physically inside the fraternity house that night participating in this “celebration of difference and hate?” Or did you receive this information from another anonymous source of yours? Also To state that wearing a headdress is comparable to “black facing” is absolutely absurd. Based of of your article you are insinuating If a little girl is inspired by the movie Pocahontas and chooses to wear a headdress and moccasins for Halloween they are being racist, and it is on the same level of racism as black facing. While on the topic of racism and insensitivity by stating in your article 67 percent of USC is a race other than Caucasian you suggest that Greek life and more specifically lambda chi as being all white. While stereotyping Greek life you Also associate colonials, the people who founded the United States of America, all as mass murders and savages. Insulting the people whom fought and died building a country that allows people like you to make such wild accusations and spit in the face of U.S.A’s founding fathers. That in its own right contains more racism, insensitivity, and stereotyping than your entire article. Their should be “community leaders”, as you suggested, to read your articles before releasing such insulting and insensitive story such as yours. In addition their should be channels for the approval of your write up to make sure that the standards of USC are met. Side note you being a supporter of the Rini Jordan campaign your article seems to conveniently include themes of their ideas and representations. Such as these “community leaders” and an increased regulation on the row “bill of rights” etc… Furthermore their should be “no tolerance for intolerance” especially with regard to an article such as this. While there should be space for articles that have meaning, thoughtfulness, and relevance. There should be no room for articles such as this that misrepresents USC and insults the fathers of U.S.A.

• Serena P
      Serena P says:

It seems like we got a butthurt fratboy over here.
      How hard is it to understand that another culture or race’s total lived experience, especially in this case, an experience that involves suffering, rape and bloodshed, isn’t yours to condense into a costume and wear to a party for fun and recreational purposes? Also, your defense of colonialism is laughable. Did you know that the Americas were to some extent built up and industrialized by the natives themselves, and the European colonists didn’t have to build from the ground up or chop down jungles with machetes just to get through? Or do you still believe that the Indians and colonists sat down to a nice and peaceful turkey dinner when they first met?
      Final note- if you don’t see anything wrong with the title “Colonial Bros and Western Hoes” I’d be surprised if you haven’t been smacked in the face by a woman yet. The whole point of intersectionality on college campuses is so we can tackle misogyny, racism and classism etc. all in one. Or maybe we need to break it down into baby steps for you, bro.

• matt
        matt says:

Serena, you did not read my response thoroughly. I never said “colonial bros and western hoes” wasn’t offensive towards women. I was addressing in what way did that contain racism, but I have to as you said “break this down into baby steps for you”. Not all native Americans were the same, just like how not all colonists were the same. Some more associated with murder and bloodshed, and some more affiliated with peace and prosperity. You joke about thanksgiving that celebrated a time of this peace and friendship. And it did not happen immediately as you state.
        It was after controversy and death that a small group of colonists and native Americans were able to achieve such a celebrated day. In addition Europeans did not come to a land that was already developed. It was very much in its primitive stage just as the Europeans were. Both groups were able to learn from each other exchanging ideas and techniques that facilitated farming, irrigation, or hunting. Absolutely nothing to do with “industrializing” as you say that occurred hundreds of years later. So please Serena read a little more in your elementary school text book so I don’t have to waste my time explaining this to you. Thank you