L.A.’s Home: Langer’s Delicatessen

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

“World’s Famous Hot Pastrami” towers over the corner of Alvarado and 7th St. next to Los Angeles’ renowned MacArthur Park. At Langer’s Deli, it is the truth. Beef reigns king in this part of town while pastrami is the poster-boy at this 68 year-old iconic delicatessen. At Langer’s, they don’t just make a sandwich; they create a colossal phenomenon of hot pastrami and coleslaw all packed in between two slices of delicious Russian rye bread. The sandwich is absolutely incredible and coupled with a fitting deli-style pickle, you’ll wonder why the place closes so early.

I’ve tried a variety of food at many restaurants and cafes in L.A. In a place like this, you have to branch out and try to see it all. From posh Westside eateries with delightful delicacies to hole-in-the-wall joints in Downtown with amazing food, by and large my personal favorite is Langer’s Deli. It’s a classic. It’s the West Coast’s Katz, but better. It attracts people from all walks of life. Be it 9-5-ers, professional athletes, corporate executives, students, elderly, locals or tourists, everyone knows Langer’s and it never ceases to satisfy.

When you walk in the deli, you become ensconced to the fullest extent in the spirit of the city of angels. The old-fashioned, brown leather booths, the classic counter in front of the kitchen and the incredibly generous wait staff make Langer’s the No.1 lunch spot in L.A.

They have a large menu, but make a B-line for the No.19. It’s what they’re known for and it’s what makes Langer’s unique. It is a bit expensive, but you can’t put a price on the experience you’ll have. If you’re an L.A. native and haven’t been to Langer’s, the time is now to make your pilgrimage. If you’re not from L.A., pay a trip to Langer’s and you’ll be able to tell your friends and family back home you had a famous No.19 sandwich from Langer’s Deli.

Langer’s isn’t too far from campus, you can take the 10-minute drive either with your own car or Uber. They close at 4 p.m. and aren’t open on Sundays, but the next time you have an opportunity to go out for lunch during the week, consider the home of the famous No.19.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in economics. His column, “Food n’ Frame,” runs Tuesdays.

Follow @foodnframe on Instagram.