Smiles Café to increase hourly wages for workers

In light of the recent protests regarding low wages at USC, Smiles Café at the USC Caruso Catholic Center intends to employ workers in the upcoming fall semester with an average base hourly wage of $15.

Smiles Café, which opened in September 2014, is a student-owned coffee shop and eatery that serves a variety of coffee, tea, salads, paninis and healthy snacks. This eatery has partnered with many student organizations, including Troy Camp, Helenes and Kicks for Kids.

Jesse Rubio, owner of Smiles Café, said the monetary increase would come from the business itself.

“We are a small business, but I want to prove and show President Nikias that if a small business can pay their employees $15, then USC and their affiliates can increase wages for low-paid employees,” Rubio said in an email to the Daily Trojan.

In addition to raising the employees’ wages, Smiles Café will also provide all USC staff employees who receive minimum wage a free cup of coffee per day until there is a facilitated conversation regarding wages.

“As CEO and a USC student, I believe the issue of low wages is not a conversation about the minimum wage, but rather a conversation about human dignity,” Rubio wrote in the email. “USC workers, whether teachers or facility workers, do not deserve a minimum wage hourly rate. They deserve what they give to us with their services.”

Rubio, a junior majoring in international relations (global business), said his business is centered around making his guests, who his competitors call customers, happy. He has invited students from Thornton School of Music to play jazz music every week at Smiles Café while hosting two art shows per semester featuring work by USC fine arts students.

Smiles Café also donates and fundraises for USC philanthropic organizations.

“Smiles Café also takes pride in being the most socially responsible business at USC,” Rubio said. “We have donated and fundraised for the largest USC student-led organizations on campus. We have raised thousands of dollars to give back to the philanthropic missions of USC’s amazing student organizations.”

The demonstration, called Fight for $15 on 4/15, held last Wednesday was part of a national effort organized by the coalition Raise the Wage LA. The demonstration began in downtown Los Angeles, and the workers made their way to Figueroa Street and 28th Street. The event ended with a march to University Park campus and a chant at Tommy Trojan around 1 p.m.

“USC employees deserve a just wage that reflects the hard work they do and the service they provide. They are part of the Trojan family, and like family, we have to make sure their needs are met,” Rubio said.

1. b juardo
    b juardo says:

-We’ll see how long you can maintain that…until you go out of business.