Easy, healthy snack recipes help kick off summer vacation

Summer at USC isn’t necessarily all fun in the sun. Whether it’s for your summer internship or your summer courses, working on low energy can mean little success. Even if your summer plans only involve relaxation, fueling your body with a healthy snack full of protein and brain-stimulating nutrients can impact your day in a big way. Combining fruits, nuts and refreshing veggies is  a surefire way to ensure that your summer spells success.

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Total: 5 minutes

Serves: 1

A fan of sweet treats? This smoothie will brighten your day with a healthy amount protein to help you focus on summer class instead of the beautiful day outside.

Ingredients:

-One whole banana (peeled)

-1 cup of ice

-1 tablespoon peanut butter

-2/3 cup of vanilla greek yogurt

-1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

-1/2 cup of milk

Simply blend together in a blender till smooth and drink up!

Mason Jar Hummus and Veggies

Total: 15 minutes

Serves: 2

Working at an internship all day? This snack is crunchy and perfectly portable for on the go.

Ingredients:

-1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

-1 clove garlic

-1/4 cup of olive oil

-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice

-2 tablespoon tahini

-Kosher salt (to taste)

-1/4 teaspoon of chili powder

-celery sticks

-carrot sticks

-cherry tomatoes

-mason jars

To make, simply puree the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt and chili powder in a blender until smooth. Fill half of the mason jar with the hummus mixture and top with a medley of veggie sticks. Screw on the top for your perfect healthy to-go snack

Chocolate Avocado Pudding

Total: 10 minutes

Serves: 2-4

For all the chocolate indulgers out there, this recipe is a great way to combine that luxurious rich treat with a healthy substitute to generate an endorphin rush to get you through any summer activity.

Ingredients:

-4 ripe avocados

-1/4 cup light coconut milk

-4 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder

-3 tablespoon honey

-2 oz of melted dark chocolate

-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

-1/8 teaspoon of salt

Remove skins and pits from avocados and place in food processor. Blend until smooth.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the avocado mixture and continue blending till fully combined. (You may need to scrape down the sides in order to make sure every last bit is fully blended).

Blend for 1-2 minutes and enjoy with any desired topping. (We suggest toasted coconut or colorful sprinkles). Can be served chilled or room temperature, enjoy!