Will Ferrell comedy special raises awareness for cancer

Over the weekend, Saturday Night Live and USC alumnus Will Ferrell premiered his mockumentary, “Ferrell Takes the Field.” In the comedy special, Ferrell plays for 10 different Major League Baseball teams in five different baseball games. In theory, Ferrell as a baseball player sounds like an absolutely insane concept, but anyone who is a fan of the comedian’s humor will know that he elicits the most laughs while maintaining a straight face in ridiculous situations. “Ferrell Takes the Field” caters to followers of Ferrell’s work while raising awareness for cancer.

The comedy special is raising money for Cancer for College, a foundation Ferrell’s Delta Tau Delta college fraternity brother Craig Pollard started. Pollard was a former baseball player until a cancer diagnosis stopped his career. Unfazed by his medical condition, Pollard then started his foundation to fund cancer survivors through college. The testimonials at the start of the mockumentary set the tone for the hour — comedy is a necessary agent to support young people with their dreams. By playing 10 different positions for 10 different teams, Ferrell strives to raise $1 million by the end of his baseball tour for Pollard’s foundation.

From then on, Ferrell approaches being a part of the baseball team with mock seriousness in the face of early practices and the big egos of his teammates. Ferrell also models the taciturn personalities of many famous athletes. “I’m in beast mode,” he proclaims to reporters when he begins his training with the Oakland A’s. Another highlight of the comedy special is when Ferrell interacts with the players in the Oakland clubhouse. “How much do you bench?” his teammate asked, to which Ferrell responds with sheepish mumbling.

What is clear almost directly afterward is that Ferrell is no match for the heavyweights of his team, and he is traded by famed general manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt’s character in Moneyball). Ferrell responds to this move by hilariously throwing a fit reminiscent of his character in Step Brothers.

The downside of this special is that the rest of Ferrell’s experience with the MLB teams is presented in short, approximately 90-second segments. With the Dodgers, Ferrell throws a fastball, and a major player bunts the ball. As a player for the Giants, Ferrell plays catcher but does almost nothing. Though the ball is pitched to him a couple times during his stint with the Angels and the Diamondbacks, the comedian’s involvement is rather ho-hum.

At the end of the day, Ferrell makes it clear that he is not a professional baseball player. He makes a retirement speech, infusing his quintessential humor. “Was I the best player on the field today?” Ferrell asks. “Maybe.” Ferrell carries his baseball player identity hilariously throughout the speech. “There’s no doubt I turned some heads today,” Ferrell says. “I brought passion to the field, dedication, ability and a lot of ignorance. There’s life in this 47-year-old arm.”

Regardless of the short duration of the mockumentary, Ferrell on the field proves to be an enjoyable combination. Perhaps the comedy special pinpoints a very specific audience, one that enjoys both baseball and Will Ferrell, but this mockumentary successfully carries its own, following other critically acclaimed mockumentaries involving former SNL members. Documentary Now!, featuring Bill Hader and Fred Armisen, and 7 Days in Hell, featuring Andy Samberg, might be supported with an additional, excellent ensemble, but they lack that trademark Will Ferrell charm.

“Ferrell takes the Field” is now streaming on HBO Go and HBO Now.