Viewer’s guide: No Trojans? No problem

With USC football resting, the team will likely spend some of Saturday watching the important games of the weekend. Here’s a list of a few games that could hold special interest for the Trojans, not to mention the country.

Wisconsin at No. 9 Ohio State, 12:30 p.m., ABC.

Ohio State rebounded well following its loss to the Trojans in early September, and have crept closer to returning to the No. 8 ranking that it held just before USC handed the Buckeyes their first loss.

The Buckeyes hope to avoid suffering the same fate twice as they welcome Wisconsin to the Horseshoe for an important Big Ten matchup.

The Badgers are hovering around the top-25 rankings, and a win in Columbus on Saturday would definitely turn the attention of the voters towards an unbeaten Wisconsin team.

No. 3 Alabama at No. 20 Mississippi, 12:30 p.m. CBS.

Before the season started, this looked like a potential matchup of two unbeaten, top-five SEC teams going at it to make a statement in a tight SEC race. Instead, that game will be in the state to the southwest of Mississippi, but the game is still important in the national college football picture.

Alabama, talented on both sides of the ball and undefeated, picked up right where it left off last SEC regular season, just before two losses to Florida and Utah sent the Crimson Tide sliding down the rankings.

Mississippi, which rose to No. 4 in the country until a loss to South Carolina last week derailed the team, is still dangerous while led by quarterback Jevan Snead. Ole Miss will have to defeat the Tide if it hopes to re-enter the national title picture with one loss, something the Trojans can relate to.

No. 1 Florida at No. 4 LSU, 5 p.m., CBS.

Quick. If the BCS rankings were released today, what team would the rest of the country be chasing at No. 1?

If you said the Florida Gators, you would be surprisingly wrong. In fact, a quick Google search of “projected BCS” reveals that not only do the Gators sit behind one team, but behind two — Alabama and then LSU.

But this Saturday, two teams, who both would sit above the Trojans (projected No. 7) if the rankings were released, face off in Baton Rouge in the biggest game of the week.

The questions leading up to the SEC battle in Louisiana will be about quarterback Tim Tebow. After suffering a severe concussion two weeks ago against Kentucky, Tebow remains a game-time decision. If Tebow is unable to play, the Gators must turn to unproven redshirt sophomore John Brantley.

LSU is coming off a strong victory over Georgia last weekend, in which its anemic-for-an-SEC team average of 321.6 yards per game was increased by a 368-yard game — including 156 rushing — in the win.

1. USC-LTC
    USC-LTC says:

I think with alot of practice, Corp can be a 3rd string QB at a Division III School. Sorry…he just does not have what it takes to make it at at premier Division I program. This was a recruiting “oops”, coaches should have spent the scholarship on a kicker. I know it, the people reading this comment know it, and I think the coaches it. Corp makes poor decisions when it reallyt counts. My 5 year old girl can throw the ball to target if their is no pressure……Corp, do us all a favor, transfer and let Mustain be the back up.