A professional link to social networking

You know the story: You interview for the job of your dreams and walk out confident. Your interviewer Googles you, Facebooks you and generally stalks you on every website possible, and, in doing so, comes up with a few good reasons — namely, your history of naked keg stands — why you are not a “perfect fit.”

Because this not-so-urban legend has been retold by Human Resources to potential employees a number of times, most of us are under the impression that we are using our social media in the correct way.

So, are we?

Probably not. Although we may have cleared all those pictures of same-sex make-outs and red-cup sculptures, our error lies more in what we’re not paying attention to at all: LinkedIn.

If you’re like me, you’ve registered for LinkedIn (a business-oriented networking site that allows users to maintain a list of professional contacts and credentials), realized it meant you had to do “job stuff” and then returned to your trusted Facebook. It may now be time to bring that other account back from the dead, because LinkedIn is a sensation with everyone who might hire you.

We are taught that getting a job is all about networking, networking, networking. How is it that this does not immediately translate to online “social networking?” From the beginning, we should have seen that LinkedIn perfectly capitalizes on how the Internet can be a great connection tool, and how it can make our lives easier. The site sounds like a great idea — but then you actually log on, and the seemingly ad-cluttered interface immediately turns you off.

LinkedIn can improve on its web image, but it can’t improve on the way business professionals see its service. Ask anyone whose job you someday want what he or she thinks you can do to get ahead, and you’re almost guaranteed to hear, “Well, are you on LinkedIn?”

Whether you have an account or whether you don’t, today is the day to make one. Suffer through the job stuff and you’ll thank yourself later. LinkedIn is the passport to a career fair you’d otherwise never get invited to.

Of course, before you start connecting with past employers and future bosses, make sure your profile looks freaking good. Upload your up-to-date résumé, job position and photos. Browse through the groups section — find people who seem like cool dudes to you and join their conversation.

You may be surprised that the older, working demographic is so involved online. We often think that our generation is the only one technologically literate enough to take full advantage of social networking. The reason for this older generation’s infatuation with the network is the same reason we spend hours on Facebook: Once you get into the working world, your co-workers become your friends, and your job, as sad as it is, becomes your life. LinkedIn is like a Facebook for people who see life through the eyes of their profession, which will sooner or later be all of us.

Because social networking is enjoyable, it allows adults to take their work relationships up a notch. Ever notice how you thank someone in person for the nice comment she left on your status? Imagine doing this at the water cooler, and noting the strength that virtual interaction for some reason adds to your relationship. By adding another element, LinkedIn helps make the work place a whole lot more fun.

We often don’t realize how much depth online networks bring to our common social practices. I feel uniquely close to the friends I follow on Twitter, and if I see them in the real world, we talk more than we did before — usually about the network itself. Sure, it’s just small talk, but essentially, small talk is networking. Therefore, social networking is small talk, and as working men and women run out of things to say about the weather, LinkedIn brings them more to discuss.

Everyone loves to gossip, and the same goes for CEOs and secretaries. Members of LinkedIn can see what’s going on with their co-workers — who’s leaving, who’s staying, who is cousins with a famous person. If you look past the whole career part, LinkedIn is just like Facebook for the older set, playing to its different priorities. The benefits can also be explained through this metaphor: When it comes to recommending someone for a job, wouldn’t you prefer it be one of your Facebook friends than some random not even in your network?

Take the time to get your LinkedIn profile out there. It’s worth the time and getting on their level speaks volumes to employers. On the other hand, if college-oriented Facebook is still your only network, it may be time to graduate.

Jen Winston is a junior majoring in communication. Her column, “The Memeing of Life,” runs Tuesdays.

1. Scott Annan
    Scott Annan says:

I appreciate the spirit of your article, but I honestly think that its dated, misleading, and fundamentally incorrect for the following reasons:

1. Employers don’t make hiring decisions based on how you represent yourself socially on a friend network. In fact, most employers don’t even check references. If a company doesn’t hire you because of how you spend your weekends, you don’t want to work there.

2. It’s a social network – not a recruitment network.

3. Authenticity trumps posturing every time. Companies want dynamic people who can move in different social and professional settings.

My 2 cents.