On-campus robbery leads to two arrests

Taking advantage of almost every public safety resource in the school’s arsenal, a female student who was robbed on campus Monday was able to recover her property and see two suspects arrested.

After nearly a month without a reported robbery at USC, a female student walking through the parking lot behind the University Park Health Center at 12:25 p.m. Monday was robbed by two juvenile males, who shoved her from behind and stole her property.

Thinking quickly, the student followed the two teenagers, who fled the scene with her possessions.

As she pursued the two into the North University Park area, just north of Jefferson Boulevard, she found a yellow-jacketed Contemporary Services Corporation security ambassador, whom she asked for help.

The student and the security ambassador followed the two robbers to the area of Orchard Avenue and Jefferson. The security ambassador contacted the Department of Public Safety via radio, and DPS found the two teenagers in the area of Jefferson and Hoover Street. They were then taken into custody.

DPS Capt. David Carlisle said this incident exemplifies how the CSC security force can help the USC community.

“It is an example of how they can assist us by observing and assisting a citizen,” Carlisle said. “That’s what they’re there for … In this case, it worked out as it was supposed to.”

Carlisle said the capture of the two suspects was also a good example of the type of teamwork DPS and other safety officers strive for.

The CSC security ambassadors are new this semester, and Carlisle said he suspects their presence has contributed to the decrease in crime.

Robberies in broad daylight, like the one Monday, are uncommon, Carlisle noted.

“I might attribute to this act that these were juveniles, so maybe they were a little more bold,” he said. “Fortunately, they’re now in custody.”

1. question?
    question? says:

In many cases it would be dangerous to follow someone who has robbed you. Is it wise to condone following thieves? Sure, your possessions are nice, and it is important to catch and prosecute thieves, but is it worth risking your life to do it?

2. MC
    MC says:

Im glad the bad guys are off the street. Good job DPS and CSC guys, nothing is 100 preventable…but it is good to know people are doing the best they can to prevent it. Pay attention to your surroundings and be safe.

3. Keyla Oseguera
    Keyla Oseguera says:

After reading this article my first reaction was “WOW!” Also it made me think “How safe are we?” I also thought “How safe is life on campus?” an in that case i think that they should have a better security system like have more cameras and more security guards out there so that students feel safer while on campus. Because like if this had happened at my school i would have felt unsafe at school. I think all college students should be aware of what can happen while on campus. The good thing about this article is that the robbers were caught and she got help.

4. Mayra Puente
    Mayra Puente says:

After reading this article, I think that the CSCU campus is not well secured. The female student got her property stolen while she was on campus. This campus should have more cameras to watch out for other thieves. The two juvenile males probably thought that this campus was not well watched, and that they could have gotten away with her belongings easily. This campus should be more protected by securities. If this campus had security guards, then the female would not have gone through the trouble to look for someone. She was vey fortunate to find the security ambassador, and that he helped her receive her property back. This article made me question of how safe we really are because this incident was on a campus, but what if it would have been somewhere else where there was no one to help her.

5. Ismael Ruiz
    Ismael Ruiz says:

I think that this article is interesting. It is interesting because a student getting robbed is a common thing with no one around; but with the new security guards there that should prevent anything like that to happen. So what is weird is that they were there on campus but they did not get the robbers until after they did it. Since the security guads are there why did they let them on campus? Nobody is safe no matter who is around the people around you can end up not noticing whats going on around them. So I think that they should either get more security guards or not let anyone but the students on the campus.

6. Michael Cruz
    Michael Cruz says:

Maybe they should have more people going around campus, making sure everything’s okay. I really don’t know what to say about this. What happens, happens. You can’t really stop it. It’s their decision what they want to do and they most likely won’t listen to you if you tell them not to do something. You do something you want to do, right? You don’t just go out there and do something you think it lame. So to me, I don’t think there’s anything to do about this to make anything better except maybe more people going around campus. But what I don’t get, is that all those students at USC are there all for one reason: Education. If you’re smart enough to think about your future and how you want your life to be like, I don’t see why they would want to screw it up now by robbing someone. They caught the suspects and the lady who was robbed got her stuff back. So their plan didn’t even work. They just got in trouble for something they thought was cool or fun. That’s what I have to say.

7. luz Ballardo
    luz Ballardo says:

After reading this article i can concluded that no one in the world is safe. This college students was robbed while being at campus..??WOW i think thats crazy.Maybe you guys should have more people watching out or even have cameras around.The students should be aware of the situations they can go through while being on campus. The only good thing was that they were able to catch the robber but just because the victum found someone that could help.We can say she was just in luck.But take in mind what will happen next time that someone gets robb and theres no one around to help.

8. Erick Sanchez
    Erick Sanchez says:

In this article it is very interesting by the way that the woman that got her purse stolen and managed to follow the two juvenile guys and got her purse back. The most exciting part of this article was when the lady finally found a yellow vest security guard and started to chase those two guys. Those guys should be sued and apologize to the lady. The cscu campus from reading this article has made me think that it is very well secure and has wonderful security guards. I can connect to this article because I was once a security guard for a corn maze and it is amazing to see the person reaction when they’ve lost something.