Fliers buy offsets for their guilt

Last month, “Responsible Travel” aborted its nine-year initiative allowing airplane passengers to purchase carbon offsets to compensate for jet fuel emissions — a program that afforded its customers fly-by-night peace of mind, if not any substantive environmental benefits.

The undertaking was reminiscent of the royal flop that was indulgences. Passengers of many major US airlines were given the opportunity to spend anywhere from $5 to $40 to effectively buy back the environmental footprints (or contrails) made by airplane emissions.

All collected money was donated to various programs around the world that reduce emissions — such as forestation projects — with the ostensible goal of canceling out each passenger’s imprint.

It seemed like a clever way to help offset the growing problem of jet fuel emissions, which are increasing exponentially.

But as a recent New York Times article pointed out, the donations were hardly the number needed to really make a trip carbon neutral. The actual amount would probably be equal to or more than the cost of the ticket itself.

The system did its job to assuage lip-service green travelers, but did little to actually reverse the damage of air travel. Martin Luther would be turning in his grave, if he wasn’t already peeved at the Catholic Church for trying to undo the Great Schism.

The problem of jet fuel emissions is an issue that must be addressed, especially as more customers travel by plane. A recent British study found that the amount of carbon emitted per passenger in one flight from London to Los Angeles is equal to what an English commuter produces in one year through bus, train or car travel.

It is clear that retroactive moves to reduce emissions are ineffective. The problem should be addressed at its source: the planes themselves.

Some airlines are already making incremental changes to their fleets. EasyJet, for example, which was started in 1995, has made strides to engineer jets that fit more rows of seats, and makes efforts to make sure these seats are filled by takeoff.

These, and other initiatives to make the planes more fuel-efficient, have reduced each plane’s carbon emissions by 28 percent.

Other airlines would do well to follow this example, but the carbon neutrality can also be approached by customers.

Private jets produce far more carbon per passenger than commercial planes, making scenic tours over the city not just financially superfluous.

Offsets have convinced many fliers that they are doing their environmental duty; therefore, fewer people are looking for ways to fly smarter. It’s easier to appease egos, but harder to encourage change.

Flying has become a staple of modern transportation, but it can and should be approached with caution.

Lucy Mueller is a junior majoring in cinema-television production, and the Daily Trojan’s editorial director.