Carroll’s heart shines in comedic sketch

A USC coach poking fun at himself for charity.

No sorry to disappoint you Trojan Nation, but it’s not current coach Lane Kiffin. Unfortunately he is still involved in a scandal over a damaged Tennessee-owned Lexus.

So while we wait for the stench of car scandals and allegations of recruitment violations to slowly leave the USC campus, what better moment to latch on one last time to the good-natured man we called our coach for nine years, Pete Carroll.

While Carroll has already started his new lavish job in Seattle, a place that ironically has had far less rain than Southern California this past week, the former-USC coach still found time to cleverly promote a charity event for his foundation A Better LA.

In the promotional video/comedy sketch for FunnyorDie.com, Carroll teams up with funny man Rob Riggle (The Hangover) and actress Aubrey Plaza (Funny People) in a three minute piece that not only generates a few laughs but benefits a great cause.

In the video, Riggle plays an eccentric/desperate Trojan football fan trying to urge Carroll to remain as the play caller for USC. From playing the fight song on a boom box outside the coach’s house, to joking that Seattle fans won’t appreciate his abilities because all they are a bunch of fanatical supporters of the hit show Frasier, the comedic actor steals the show, but in the end it’s Carroll who still shines brightest.

While the coach’s lines are few and far between (and to be honest are completely matter of fact), the video is just another example of why the Los Angeles community has embraced him so much: his propensity to take part in jest, even if it’s at his expense.

The benefit for Carroll’s A Better LA will take place on Feb.20 at LA Live, and will feature guests Will Ferrell, Tenacious D, Demitri Martin, Nick Swardson and Riggle. In addition to benefiting his foundation, all ticket proceeds from their buy one get one free special this weekend will go directly to The Red Cross and their efforts in Haiti.

Though I don’t see an acting career for Carroll when his days as a coach wind down, even though his time at USC is no more, you can’t help but root for the guy, who — more than calling plays and motivating his players — touches lives with his big heart.