Women of Troy taking season one game at a time

After two thrilling come-from-behind victories on the road against the Washington schools last weekend, the Women of Troy return to the friendly confines of the Galen Center riding a four-game win streak.

Crunch time · Senior guard Ashley Corral is part of the Women of Troy team, which has to bear down as conference play heats up. USC opens a two-game home stand tonight against Oregon State at 7 p.m. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

The Women of Troy (12-6, 6-1) will welcome the Oregon State Beavers (9-8, 1-6) to begin their home stand tonight.

After winning their last five conference games, the Women of Troy will be looking to hold onto their second place standing in the Pac-10 and stay in contention for a conference title.

Approaching the midway point of their conference schedule, the Women of Troy know they have to stay focused and keep their attention on the game at hand if they intend on competing for the Pac-10 title.

“The most important thing on our mind is Oregon State. We’re not really worrying about anything else. We just have to protect home court,” senior guard/forward Aarika Hughes said.

Junior guard Talisa Rhea, who is averaging about 22 points per game in conference play, leads the Beavers at Galen tonight. Last year, Rhea was named an honorable mention All Pac-10 performer.

Rhea and the Beavers are among the nation’s best in rebounding, ranking 20th in rebounding margin and averaging 7.7 rebounds more than their opponents this season.

The Women of Troy have struggled to rebound the ball defensively this season, ranking last in the conference.

Containing Rhea and keeping the Beavers off the offensive glass will be no easy task.

“It’s going to be a team effort. We’re going to have to throw some different things at her and we’re going to have to take care of the boards,” Hughes said.

The Beavers are also a solid club defensively, holding opponents to under 40 percent field goal shooting and allowing about 56 points per contest. During one stretch this season, they held opponents to 49 points or less in four consecutive games.

Another noteworthy statistic is the Beavers’ 8-1 record when leading at halftime, although the Women of Troy have made it a habit to rally from halftime deficits with four come-from-behind victories in as many games.

“We just want to get off to a good start,” associate coach Ervin Monier said. “It’s been good that we’ve been finishing games well and showing some resiliency, but at some point, it’d be nice getting in front and getting ahead and then holding on.”

During their win streak, the Women of Troy have received solid contributions from their starting five and their bench.

To protect their home court, more of the same will be needed.

“Every set of games are the most important games,” Monier said. “Right now, we’re taking it one game at a time.”

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.