USC undone by strong winds and uneven play against nation’s best

Playing in windy conditions on the big island of Hawaii, the No. 16 USC men’s golf team struggled to a ninth place finish Friday at the Mauna Lani Invitational.

Striking · Sophomore Steven Lim shot a one-over-par 73 in the final round of the Mauna Lani Invitational. - Photo courtesy of USC Sports Information

The Trojans got off to a quick start Wednesday, finishing the first day of the tournament in fourth place. After another bright beginning on Thursday, including a first hole eagle by sophomore Steve Lim, USC was unable to grind out pars in the wind and limped to the finish.

“It was blowing anywhere from 15 to 25 miles an hour the whole time, nonstop,” USC coach Chris Zambri said. “But in the middle of the second round, we were tied for second and then we really struggled on our second nine and we had to count an 81.”

The Trojans’ 13-over-par second round dropped them into eighth place and out of contention for the tournament title. USC finished the week at 22 over par, 20 strokes behind champions Stanford.

“We were overall really disappointed,” freshman Martin Trainer said. “We feel like we’re one of the top teams out there even though we haven’t proven it yet.”

The highlight of the tournament for the Trojans was Trainer’s final round 67 that propelled him into a tie for 21st for the week. The freshman’s final round of six birdies and one bogey made him the highest USC finisher at the tournament.

“I was really putting myself in the prime place to have an opportunity to make birdies,” Trainer said about his final round. “The first round and the second round I put myself in awkward spots where I was struggling to make pars.”

“What Martin did was really awesome,” Zambri added. “It’s great to see someone that young, not only shooting five under but finishing strong on a round of golf. I think he’s gonna be really good for us.”

Trainer shot 79-74 the first two days and finished at four over par on the week.

Junior Matthew Giles, a returning first team All-American, has struggled to replicate last season’s form this year and finished at five over par, shooting 72-74-75 and tying for 29th place.

“I know I can play a lot better than that,” Giles said. “I think everything was just a little bit scrappy. But I think I’m relatively close to getting my game back to where it needs to be.”

Sophomore Steve Lim, the only other returning member from last year’s NCAA quarterfinal team, shot 73-72-76 and also finished at five over par.

“I know that Matthew and Steve will come around,” Zambri said. “I just know that we’re not satisfied with ninth and, if I ever am, I should be shown the door.”

Freshman Sam Smith shot           74-81-74 to finish in a tie for 63rd at 13 over par for the week while redshirt junior Bo DeHuff shot 74-81-81 to finish at 20 over par and a tie for 93rd.

Stewart Hagestad, a freshman competing as an individual for USC, posted a five-over-par week, shooting 79-72-70.

The Trojans ninth place finish looks better when considering 11 of the nation’s top 20 teams were in the 22 team field at Mauna Lani, but Zambri is convinced his team can do better.

“It was a really good field, and it was good for us to start the spring against competition like that,” Zambri said. “But I don’t feel like lowering my expectations to accept ninth place. I know we’re better than that and eventually you just have to step up and start playing well.”

The Trojans will tee it up next on March 1, when they host the USC Intercollegiate at North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village, Calif.