Women of Troy capture Bruin Wave Invitational

The USC women’s golf team took full advantage of a chance to rebound after a sub-par 12th-place performance at last week’s Wildcat Invitational, storming back to win the Bruin Wave Invitational on Wednesday.

Even · Sophomore Jennifer Song shot even par in the final round. - Courtesy of USC Sports Information

Down four strokes with one round to go, the Women of Troy combined for a 2-under-par 288 to win the UCLA- and Pepperdine-hosted event taking advantage of some uneven play from the hosts who were both in contention for the tournament title.

Arizona State, who was fourth after the second round, finished second, two strokes behind the Women of Troy, despite firing a 4-over-par 294 on the first day of play.

On a beautiful day for a round of golf, none of the Women of Troy shot a round less than 3-over-par, including junior Lizette Salas, who finished the day with at team-best 1-under-par 71. Salas finished the individual tournament tied for fourth overall at a 2-under-par 214 (72-71-71).

Senior Belen Mozo and sophomore Jennifer Song shot even-par 72s on Wednesday, and both finished in the top 10 in the individual event. Mozo started her round with 16 consecutive pars before she birdied the 17th and bogied on the 18th hole.

Song had a more tumultuous day, ending the first 11 holes 4 under par before a bumpy back nine brought the sophomore back to even par for the round.

The earlier rounds for the Women of Troy were equally successful as they positioned themselves for a final round comeback to capture the Bruin Wave.

In the first round, Mozo shot a 4-under-par 68 that helped USC finish 2 under par for the opening round.

Mozo’s 68 was the 13th round of her career under 70, which set a USC career mark, eclipsing former Trojan Irene Cho and Song, who both have 12 sub-70 rounds.

Freshman Cyna Rodriguez also played well on the opening day of competition, carding a round of 1-over-par 73, which included four birdies.

The second round was not quite as forgiving for any of the teams at the Bruin Wave, as USC shot a combined 6-over-par 294 and was the leader after the second round. UCLA was only able to muster a two-under-par 290. Pepperdine, who finished the second round tied with the Women of Troy at an even 598, shot a 2-over-par on the day.

The second round was Salas’, as the sophomore made her move from a tie for 11th after the first round to a tie for fifth after shooting a 1-under-par 71 that included a 2-under-par front nine and birdies on 17 and 18.

Song also improved on the second day, shooting an even-par 72, which could have been even better if she didn’t have a late round stretch of 3-over-par that included a double bogey.

The victory gives the Women of Troy three victories on the season and two wins in just three tournaments this spring.

USC will head into a nearly month-long break before it plays in the PING/Arizona State Invitational in April.