Washington reportedly dismissed

Multiple sources, including the Los Angeles Times and the Los Angeles Daily News, are reporting that sophomore forward Leonard Washington has been dismissed from the USC men’s basketball team.

Contributor · During his two seasons at USC, sophomore forward Leonard Washington averaged 6.1 points and 4.3 rebounds per game. - Avi Kushlan | Daily Trojan

According to a report by the Times, sources close to the situation say Washington was dismissed March 7, one day after USC’s season had ended in a double-overtime loss to Arizona. The primary reason for his dismissal was a poor attitude, the sources said.

The sources spoke anonymously because Washington has not yet received his official release. An announcement from the school is expected soon.

USC basketball spokesman David Tuttle said no official roster changes had been made as of Tuesday afternoon. Washington and USC coach Kevin O’Neill could not be reached for comment.

Although it was widely believed that Washington would leave the team at the end of the season, he was still surprised by news of his dismissal, the sources in the Times report said.

After missing the first 10 games of the season because of academic ineligibility, Washington returned to action Dec. 23 to help USC defeat St. Mary’s at the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii. Washington was a key contributor off the bench for the Trojans, averaging 6.2 points and 4.4 rebounds in his final 20 games.

In a mysterious move midway through the season, Washington imposed a personal ban on speaking to reporters. Washington said, “[I’ll] never talk to the media again. I’ll pay fines in the NBA if I have to.”

O’Neill said Washington is looking to transfer soon, though it is unclear which schools the 6-foot-7 forward might consider.

“It’s headed in that direction,” O’Neill told the Daily News on Friday.

One possible destination is Washington’s home state of Louisiana. Neworleans.com reported last Wednesday that former USC coach Tim Floyd is being considered for the head coaching position at Louisiana Lafayette. Floyd, currently an assistant coach with the New Orleans Hornets, recruited Washington to play for the Trojans.

According to that report, school officials requested information from the NCAA on Floyd’s status, as there have been allegations that he once paid Rodney Guillory, the advisor to former USC player O.J. Mayo. Floyd testified before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in February at a hearing involving an investigation into alleged NCAA rules violations at USC.