Campus Center project coordinator wins prestigious award

Jason Cruz, the project coordinator for the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, received an award last week for his contributions to USC and his leadership in the construction of the student Campus Center, which is scheduled to open in Fall 2010.

Cruz was given the Richard D. Blackburn New Professional Award, which has been presented by the Association of College Unions International since 1995 and is named in honor of one of the organization’s past presidents. It is granted annually to “young professionals” who have demonstrated commitment to their college union and have been in the field of student affairs for anywhere from two to five years.

Cruz was nominated by Patrick Bailey, the associate dean and executive director of student life and involvement. Bailey hired Cruz to work for Student Affairs after he graduated from USC in 2006.

Cruz has been involved with the construction of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center from the start, overseeing construction management, fundraising, and creating programs and events.

Bailey described Cruz’s commitment to USC as “amazing” and “inspirational,” in a profile on the USC Student Affairs Website.

In addition to his work with the Campus Center, Cruz has served on the panel of judges for the Order of the Torch and is an assistant coach to the USC Spirit Leaders.