USC captures titles across the track at Pomona-Pitzer

A small group of USC track and field athletes competed solidly at this weekend’s Pomona-Pitzer Invitational, with Trojans on both the men’s and women’s team scoring first place finishes.

Leaper · Sophomore Dalilah Muhammad won the high jump. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

USC also posted collegiate-best marks in seven events at the meet in Claremont, Calif.

Especially impressive was the performance of USC’s field athletes. Senior Colin Campbell won the men’s discus competition, and redshirt sophomore Lauren Guerrieri won the same event for the women.

Sophomore Dalilah Muhammad, usually one of USC’s best hurdlers, competed in Saturday’s high jump competition and came away with first place, clearing a season-best 5-8 3/4 inches.

Despite the late scratch of sophomore Duane Walker in the men’s 400-meter hurdles, the USC track athletes also had a memorable day at Pomona-Pitzer. Junior Brendan Ames honored his No. 1 seed in the men’s 110-meter hurdles by winning with a final time of 13.81 with a 2.1 meters per second backwind. The time was Ames’ best of the 2010 season.

A pieced-together 4×100-meter relay team took home the gold for the Trojans, as the team of junior Sean Jackson, sophomores Scott DeYoung and Tony Burnett, and freshman Farzad Bozorgzad finished with a time of 41.72.

Several Trojans fell just short of finishing first overall in their respective events. Junior Christine Cortez had a strong showing for the women’s distance team, coming in second overall in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:11.91, which was still good enough for the best collegiate time in the race.

For the men, senior Jason Price also finished second overall but first collegiately in the 400-meter dash with a season-best 48.16.

Next up for the Trojans are the Mount Sac Relays, a competition-heavy meet in Walnut, Calif., that earlier this week USC coach Ron Allice said was “one of the higher-profile meets on [the Trojans’] schedule.”