“Hell-O” again to one of television’s biggest series

With two hit CDs, millions in digital sales, an upcoming concert tour, a performance at the White House during its annual Easter Egg Roll and a career-validating Oprah appearance, the Glee phenomenon has truly taken over.

In harmony · Fox’s popular series Glee follows New Directions, a recently reinvigorated high school glee club. - Photos courtesy of FOX Flash

But the cast and crew of the show aren’t the only ones with something to be gleeful about: Glee fans all over the nation are gearing up for the spring premiere of the hit T.V. show tonight at 9:30 p.m. on Fox.

After a four-month hiatus, the McKinley High glee club is back in session, continuing season one with the remaining nine episodes that promise even more sabotaging schemes, romantic twists and, above all, the music that has revived the traditional high school musical.

Since the show’s debut in May 2009, Glee has centered on the New Directions glee club at McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio. Spanish teacher Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison), decided to take over the club, giving it a new name and revitalizing its image.

Early episodes primarily revolved around Will’s attempts to recruit singers for the club, pitching it as a creative alternative for students who usually join the popular and successful cheerleading and football teams at the school. Will’s efforts to make the club successful are constantly challenged by Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch), coach of the school’s cheerleading team, the Cheerios.

Refusing to give up, Will puts together a diverse team of budding performers headed by the fame-obsessed Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and quarterback Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith).

Will struggles to keep the club together throughout most of the season, trying to change the image of a group previously defined as the “loser club.” The show portrays stereotypical high school drama, with students throwing slushies at the rejects of the glee club.

Against all odds and in spite of the devious scheming of Sue, last season ended with New Directions’ victory at sectionals and its preparations for regionals. Sue gets suspended for her attempts to sabotage New Directions’ performance at sectionals by leaking its set list to the competing teams.

After his marriage failed and he learned his wife was faking her pregnancy, Will kissed school guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury (Jayma Mays) in an attempt to stop her from leaving the school.

With relationships taking exciting turns and the glee club’s win at sectionals, the remainder of the season promises to keep the thrills coming and maintain the drama and entertainment Glee has come to be known for.

With tonight’s spring premiere, fans can expect even more exciting music with songs by AC/DC, Lionel Richie, the Beatles, Olivia Newton-John and Madonna in the remaining episodes. Without giving too much away, the show’s return episode “Hell-O” features several songs playing on the title, including “Hello” by Richie, “Gives You Hell” by All-American Rejects and “Hello, Goodbye” by the Beatles.

Although the music is certainly the most awaited aspect of the show, the episode will also introduce two new characters and the return of Sue, ready to challenge the glee club once again with her underhanded plans.

With the amount of hype the show garners, however, Glee definitely has a lot to live up to. Ahead of television favorites The Office and 30 Rock, Glee took home the best T.V. series, comedy or musical, award at the Golden Globes in January. Although Michele, Lynch and Morrison did not win the best actress, best supporting actress or best actor awards, respectively, their nominations speak for themselves and definitely set the bar high.

Whether it’s the amusing relationship drama, intense competition or fun-filled musical performances, the show offers a little bit of everything for viewers. With the “Glee Live” concerts this summer and highly anticipated spring premiere, the Glee phenomenon is definitely here to stay.

Be sure to catch “Hell-O” tonight — and if high school drama and slushie fights aren’t your thing, the music will surely not disappoint.