Walk it out

The USC Fashion Industry Association was in full swing for its sixth annual fashion show, sponsored by high-end denim label Paige Premium Denim. Held on campus in Town and Gown, the black-carpeted runway stretched across the building and was surrounded on both sides by rows of chairs, a full bar and media platform.

The student-run show boasted 13 designer collections running the gamut from fresh student designers and local talents to established brands and celebrity lines. Among the night’s honorees were designs courtesy of Madcute, Bloomingdale’s Aqua, Moods of Norway and I.Am by Black Eyed Peas’ will.i.am.

Also present were USC-groomed designers Michael Ward (’09), a graduate of the USC School of Architecture; Kathleen Coltman, a junior majoring in business administration; and Kimberly Mhanna, a junior majoring in economics.

In his self-titled collection, Ward impressed with his simple yet sophisticated men’s wear designs made up of two-tone, color-block button downs and skinny pants. His women’s wear was a bit more exuberant — towering models strutted down the catwalk in intricate silk-ruffled gowns paired with cropped metallic coats. A female model paused and ripped off the bottom layer of a well-tailored coat worn by another model to reveal a crowd-favorite sequined skirt beneath — a true showstopper.

In Kathleen Coltman’s collection — inspired by mid-20th century American lingerie and burlesque costumes — a floor-length nude-colored gown stood out among black and fuchsia-toned corsets and slip gowns. Flowing gowns and flirty crop tops in black, yellow and cream patterns summed up Kimberly Mhanna’s “Mhanna,” which perfectly captured the essence of elegant evening wear with a touch of casualness.

Also on hand for the evening was a fleet of well-groomed, fierce student and professional models.

Backstage before the show, aspiring model Rachel Silverman experienced a shade of last-minute anxiety.

“It’s always a mix of nerves and excitement,” Silverman said. “It’s hectic and tiring at times, but I can’t wait to get out there.”

Teddy Glickman, a sophomore majoring in communication, had a slightly different perspective.

“This is the first thing I’ve done with modeling, so it feels good to be a part of the show,” Glickman said. “Everything is new, but we practiced and did some run-throughs before.”

A boutique model for Moods of Norway and contestant on the Internet-based reality show If I Can Dream, aspiring high-fashion model Giglianne Braga also graced the runway multiple times for a segment to be aired on the show.

Powerhouse designs by Moods of Norway and Formative brought some of the show’s most interesting collections to the spotlight. The Norwegian designers behind Moods of Norway presented blazers, cherry-printed button-downs and uniquely colored suit-and-vest combinations for the men’s collection, complemented by surprisingly formal gowns for the ladies. Using soft spring colors throughout, Formative showed off a Grecian-meets-Gaga-inspired line, channeling intricate drapery with asymmetrical necklines, star cutouts, leotards and futuristic sunglasses. Both garnered praise from the audience.

On its turn down the catwalk, Bloomingdale’s Aqua fashions flaunted flirty skirts and dresses in basic floral prints coupled with boyfriend blazers in neutral tones.

Graduating from the Otis College of Art and Design this May, another showcasing designer Candy Winters described her pieces, including tweed jackets and patterned tops, as “fun and feminine.” She plans to continue working on her line more this summer.

Rounding out the night were eclectic showings of swimsuits and footwear by Tyler Rose Swimwear, Taiwo, Report shoes and Android shoes.

With not a loose stitch throughout, the FIA Board did well in delivering a high-production level show to its packed crowd of hip students, proud parents, friends and VIP guests. Lead sponsors for the show, Paige Adams-Geller, a USC Annenberg alumna and founder of Paige Premium Denim, provided totes filled with swag from other big-name sponsors like OPI, Ben Sherman and Stila makeup.

With beats by Alex Perliter and Greg Shin of Delivery to an intermission performance by the USC Chamber Ballet Company, the show boasted strong variety from its lineup of designers and exceeded expectations for a conventional student operation.

With events like Sunday’s design showcase, FIA hopes to continue bringing fashion industry exposure to its members and the USC populations. Sophia Yoo, a sophomore majoring in communication and FIA’s vice president of special events, was pleased with the outcome of the event.

“I’m really happy with how everything turned out,” Yoo said. “I think the biggest challenge going into next year is finding an even more impressive list of designers and just building off our momentum.”

Allison Krause, vice president of public relations for FIA, was also impressed with the outcome.

“Persistence is key,” Krause said. “We had to call a lot of people, keep asking and pursue those relationships. I think the hard work paid off in the end.”