‘Saw’ continues to take over a theater near you

For those faint of heart, watching Saw probably consists only of peaking through fingers and hearing blood-curdling screams come through the speakers.

But for the passionate group of horror-philic moviegoers who crave such features, Saw is a thrill ride. Again and again, fans have filled theaters across the nation and boosted movie ticket sales in a frenzy for a film that became notorious for mixing psychological suspense and unbridled gore. Its popularity quickly exploded, creating a phenomenon that gave birth to sequel upon sequel.

Drawing a large amount of attention from moviegoers also garnered the flick the Guinness World Record for being the “Most Successful Horror Movie Series” in 2010. Directed by James Wan and written by Leigh Whannell, the first Saw horror film introduced Jigsaw in 2004, the idea grew through six sequels, all screened around Halloween.

So how could the story possibly grow after so many plot twists and numerous sequels? 3-D of course. Saw 3-D, directed by Kevin Greutert and written by Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, will hit movie screens Oct. 29. The newest creation will reveal whether fans will grow weary of the story or continue to catapult the movie’s success.