USC champions set to visit the White House

Last year, three USC teams clinched NCAA championship titles: men’s water polo, women’s water polo and men’s tennis. On Sept. 13 President Barack Obama will honor these three teams — the most from a single university — along with about 30 others from schools across the nation at the White House for their athletic and academic achievements.

Fight on · The women’s water polo team celebrated its national championship last season. As a result, the team was invited to the White House. - Photo courtesy of USC Sports Information

Last season for these three teams was memorable to say the least.

The men’s water polo team recorded a 7-6 win over UCLA, earning back-to-back championship titles. Along with beating the Bruins, the Trojans made history with the win by becoming the first team to make five-straight appearances at the NCAA finals.

The team’s home opener is Saturday against Long Beach State, with the No. 4 Trojans looking to defeat the No. 10 49ers. Although the team has lost some crucial seniors since last year, it still hopes to make its sixth apperance at the NCAA championships this season.

The Women of Troy fared no worse last year, beating top-ranked Stanford 10-9 and earning their first NCAA championship title since 2004. The Women of Troy, led by eight All-Americans, finished the season with a record of 25-3 and their win against the Cardinal earned them their third national championship title.

The women’s title was the eighth overall national championship for coach Jovan Vavic, who also coaches the men’s team. To complement his two championships last season, Vavic won National Coach of the Year awards for both the men’s and women’s teams.

Finally, the No. 5-seeded men’s tennis team defended its national title by beating No. 2 Tennessee. Although they lost the doubles’ point, the Trojans pulled through with their singles matches and claimed victory over the Volunteers in the end.

The move to honor NCAA student athletes at this kind of reception was begun by former President George W. Bush. These athletes will not only be congratulated for their achievements on the field but off the field as well.

Other schools with multiple teams invited are Penn State, UCLA, Villanova, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and Stanford.

1. Chris. B
    Chris. B says:

Maheen, this is an amazing article. Many of the others i have read written by other Daily Trojan writers are not written nearly as well. This article is both accurate and well worded, and complimented by you’re organization, which is flawless as well, as evidenced by the perfect flow of the paper. You must be a crucial asset to this news staff and you obviously have potential in the field of journalism. i hope you continue to write for the daily trojan in the future.

2. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

Please review your choice of words. You do not clinch a national title by winning the very last game or match. Clinch is used when there is no possibility of losing with the event still in progress or games left in the season in football, basketball, and baseball.