USG continues progress on mug program

The Undergraduate Student Government announced updates to its new sustainability mug program at Tuesday’s Senate meeting.

The program is a collaborative effort of the USC Libraries, USC Hospitality and USG to promote campus-wide sustainability.

Students will soon be able to purchase mugs from various hospitality venues, such as Trojan Grounds or the campus center, and will receive 10 percent off all drinks on campus.

“It really is a campaign to be more sustainable on campus … it’s just one more step,” said Tim Sae Koo, USG director of student affairs. “[USG’s] job now is to help market it and spread the word to the students.”

Hospitality will choose between two styles of mugs Wednesday, both of which are appealing and still affordable for students, Sae Koo said. A student from the USG Program Board will then design the graphic for the mug.

The mugs are anticipated to be available by next semester. They are designed to be spill-proof and have already been approved by USC Libraries and Hospitality. Students will be allowed to bring mugs purchased through this program into all libraries.

The sustainability mug project was proposed a few years ago; however, Sae Koo said the biggest obstacle in completing the project was poor communication between the departments around campus.

“It’s a long process, so that’s why all we have are rough estimates in terms of dates,” Sae Koo said. “I’m just really excited about it now because it’s been a project that has been going on for a couple of years now.”

Sae Koo said USG put a lot of effort into pushing for the program and that the USC departments are finally seeing the benefits of a sustainability program.