USC looking to take SoCal tournament

There is no rest for a team with NCAA championship aspirations.

If this weekend’s SoCal Tournament in Westwood unfolds as expected, the No. 1 USC men’s water polo team (11-0) will face a few teams seeking retribution for early-season losses to the Trojans.

Triple threat · Junior two-meter Matt Burton and the Trojans put their seven straight SoCal Tournament championships on the line this weekend. - Mannat Saini | Daily Trojan

Owners of seven consecutive SoCal Tournament crowns, the Trojans will begin their title defense against Redlands at 8 a.m. Saturday, followed by an afternoon matchup against either No. 8 Long Beach or No. 9 Pepperdine. Barring an upset, the Trojans will then face either No. 4 Stanford or No. 5 UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

As to whether this streak of seven consecutive SoCal Tournament victories adds any pressure to a young team already trying to prove itself against all other NCAA programs, redshirt sophomore driver Michael Rosenthal seems unfazed.

“We’ve won it seven years in a row and we know that we can definitely win it again this year,” Rosenthal said. “The pressure isn’t to keep the streak alive; it’s more to keep proving that we’re No. 1 and that we’re still the team to beat.”

USC coach Jovan Vavic has stressed a simple, fundamental approach during practices this week. Perhaps in a move of strategic posturing, he has tried to deflect much of the hype surrounding the Trojans, saying he believes that they are still an underdog.

“I don’t think we are the favorite,” Vavic said. “We’re ranked No. 1, but I think UCLA is probably the favorite in this tournament. They’re playing at home, they’re an experienced team and they’ll have a big crowd in their favor.”

As for adjustments he expects teams to make for their rematches against the Trojans, Vavic said he is preparing for opponents to better defend two freshmen who were unknown quantities heading into the NorCal Tournament: two-meter Jeremy Davie, the team’s leading scorer, and driver Nikola Vavic.

When listing teams capable of winning this tournament, Vavic and his players disregarded few programs. Berkeley’s roster is complete with experienced talent, Stanford is underrated, LMU has elite goaltending, and UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine have challenged the best teams in the NCAA. Undoubtedly, this NCAA field is balanced, especially among the top teams. Not to be forgotten, in both its victories against UCLA and Cal, USC won by a one-goal margin.

From a wider perspective, not only is this tournament an opportunity for USC to retain its No. 1 ranking, but also an opportunity for the team to position itself for the postseason.

“If we win this tournament and come out with an undefeated record, that pretty much puts NCAA’s within our hands because both Cal and UCLA would have to come to our pool and play us at home in order to take away any chance of our going to the NCAA’s,” said junior two-meter Matthew Burton. “With that in mind, it’s a huge tournament for us.”