USC prepares to face Locker via imitation

Freshman quarterback Jesse Scroggins did his best Jake Locker impersonation as he led the scout team in practice for the second day in a row.

Study time · Lane Kiffin, Matt Barkley and the Trojans have studied hard for Washington, who has been disappointing so far this season. - Dieuwertje Kast | Daily Trojan

At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, Scroggins is not a bad replica for the USC defense as it prepares for the real Locker, who is the same height and 25 pounds heavier. Locker was a preseason Heisman candidate and is easily Washington’s biggest offensive weapon.

For Scroggins, it presented an opportunity to see significant action with the scout team rather than watch it from the sidelines.

“I think that’s one of the reasons they allowed me to go to scout, just to get my feet wet,” Scroggins said. “I’ve just been standing at practice.”

The young quarterback from Lakewood, Calif., said he sees the opportunity as a privilege and a vote of confidence from coaches.

“They’re basically giving you this role, they think you can play this role,” Scroggins said.

Scroggins said he approaches time in practice as a chance to improve his skills.

“It’s a job. You have to treat it as a job, it’s your career,” he said.

Scroggins, who enrolled at USC early so he could participate in spring practice, said it has been a difficult transition from high school.

“It got overwhelming real quick,” Scroggins said, referring to dealing with a more complex playbook and an entirely different atmosphere.  When he first starting calling plays in the huddle, he was so nervous he stuttered as he made the call.

The 18-year-old received guidance and encouragement from his veteran teammates, including fellow quarterbacks Matt Barkley and Mitch Mustain as well as the offensive linemen.

“The older guys looked down to me and they just said, ‘Relax. Just be you,’” Scroggins said.

Though Scroggins’ contribution has been limited so far at the early stages of his career, his impersonation of Locker on the scout team this week is essential to the Trojan defense. USC coach Lane Kiffin called Locker, who has at times been projected to be the No. 1 quarterback taken in the next NFL draft, “the most dynamic player” USC has seen so far this season.

As for Scroggins, he has picked up a few things about the potential future-NFL pick.

“I’ve learned that Jake Locker’s a competitor,” Scroggins said. “The guy is smart — real smart — and makes good plays.”

u

Although some expected Washington to break its way into the national polls this year, the Huskies have had a disappointing 1-2 start so far.

It is the Trojans, on the other hand, who finally made gains in the rankings for the first time this season, moving from No. 20 to No. 18.

“There must have been a lot of teams that lost in front of us,” Kiffin said.

USC began the season ranked No. 14, but dropped two spots each week despite winning its first three games. Kiffin maintained that the rankings are still meaningless in his eyes.

“We don’t concern ourselves with that. We can’t control it,” Kiffin said.