Trojan Family praises 11th USC president

After two months in office, university President C.L. Max Nikias’ leadership and communication with students has received positive reviews from student leaders and administrative officials.

Hands on · President C.L. Max Nikias has met with the Undergraduate Student Government to discuss students’ goals and concerns for the year. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

Nikias took office on Aug. 3, but will be inaugurated today as the university’s 11th president.

“He really cares about the experience students have at this university,” said Nehi Ogbevoen, vice president of the Undergraduate Student Government. “He understands that we are truly here for more than a degree, but this is also where we eat, sleep, network and learn outside of the classroom.”

Ogbevoen said Nikias has taken the time to sit down with USG and discuss student concerns.

Nikias has also been receptive to graduate students, said Graduate and Professional Student Senate President Jenny Novak.

“After his appointment to office he called a meeting to meet with the GPSS Exec Board regarding our agenda for the upcoming year and our greatest concerns as graduate students,” Novak said. “I have been impressed by his accessibility and his enthusiasm for his new position.”

Novak said the president has supported GPSS’ goal of providing housing for first-year graduate students, along with other projects.

“We would like to work with him to expand summer funding opportunities for Ph.D. students, as well as give graduate students more teaching opportunities on campus to make us more competitive on the job market,” she said.

Administrators said they have also felt that Nikias is an effective leader who is willing to connect with all members of the university.

“On a personal level, his energy and enthusiasm for USC are really incredible,” said Jean Morrison, executive vice provost for academic affairs. “He understands the DNA of the university and because of that is able to lead the university to really great new places.”

The president sponsored a welcome event for Ph.D. students and scholars that was an important occasion to speak to students, Morrison said.

“He really gets the fundamental character of USC,” Morrison said. “We are incredibly fortunate to have Max Nikias as our new president.”

At the beginning of his presidency, Nikias said one of his goals was to regularly connect with students by hosting afternoon teas, of which student leaders said they have enjoyed.

“He has been more than willing to take time of his extremely busy day to sit down with us and listen to issues that we find important,” Ogbevoen said. “I love the intimate teas that he has with students, really makes us feel special. It is amazing how receptive he is with our ideas.”

Jonathan Munoz-Proulx, a senior majoring in theatre, said Nikias has been influential in many aspects of the university, from engineering to arts.

“I’m a huge fan of President Sample,” Munoz-Proulx. “I didn’t think it could ever get better, but Max Nikias is doing an incredible job.”