Ghoulish times in the City of Angels

Halloween has its own style. Foggy haunted castles, dark, terrifying sights and ghoulish creatures. Of course, America has its own style as well — taking holidays and turning them into big parties.

With Halloween weekend kicking off tonight — people have to start early — it’s time to take a look at the oddball, historical and debaucherous events going on over the next four nights. Los Angeles is a metropolis of endless possibilities, and spending Halloween in the City of Angels can be a great experience — it’s just a matter of finding the right event to suit certain tastes.

Katrina MacGregor | Daily Trojan

The horror films of old

In the 1930s, Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff were cinema gods — well, more like cinema ghouls. The iconic actors behind Universal Pictures’ classic versions of Dracula and Frankenstein teamed up for a few horror films through the decade, including The Raven and The Black Cat.

Hollywood Boulevard’s Egyptian Theatre will be showing a double feature of those two films tonight at 7:30 p.m. For classic horror film fans and newcomers alike, seeing the two horror icons match wits is quick an experience.

For a more comedic touch, the Hammer Museum will screen Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein at 11 a.m. on Halloween. Although Bud and Lou’s jokes are the focus of the film, the movie is a great example of a Universal “monster mash” piece and it features Lugosi’s last, iconic performance as Count Dracula.

Haunted horse riding — minus the horses

Amid all of the glitz and glamor offered by Hollywood clubs, Bar Sinister stands out. A Gothic-industrial club where black clothes are a must, the bar avoids heavy death metal and other overdone “dark” trappings, with patrons more likely to hear Depeche Mode or Nine Inch Nails blasting from the speakers.

With candelabras lining the walls, lavish red and black curtains and lots of wrought iron, it certainly fits the mood and look for Halloween. Why go to a club whose idea of Halloween means adding a few pumpkin decorations when you can embrace the holiday’s atmospheric origins?

On Saturday, Bar Sinister hosts its second annual “Ghostly Equestrian Ball.” With live shows from acts like The Henchmen and Veil Veil Vanish, the party is half concert, half bondage-laced costume party.

Lose your (Rocky Horror) virginity

No matter how many times people watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show, they are considered “virgins” until they see it at a screening party.

Tonight at 8 p.m. The Wiltern hosts a screening of the show, complete with live performances from Danny DeVito, Billy Idol and Jack Nicholson, among others. Although tickets are pricey at $50, the funds go toward charity groups.

For fans who can’t get enough of sweet Transylvanian transvestites, the Nuart Theatre will screen the film the following night — for only $10.50

Dios de los Muertos

The 11th annual celebration of the Day of the Dead at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery will run from Friday night through Saturday. For $10, guests can feast on Mexican food, create tributes and memorials for deceased loved ones, and join others for a supernatural and ethereal experience, giving participants a chance to explore another culture and get a fresh taste of the Halloween frights.

This year’s celebration is a joint festival for the holiday and for the bicentennial of Mexican Independence. Along with the food and activities, the event features live performances from Carla Morrison, Imperial Silence and Ruben Albarran.

Hard Haunted Mansion

The just-off-campus holiday staple returns for another year. Split between Saturday and Sunday, the rave in the Shrine Auditorium features an extremely impressive lineup, with acts like Fake Blood and Nero.

The real treat will be the headliners. Saturday features The Bloody Beetroots and Sunday will have the long-running English electronic act, Underworld.

Los Angeles is a city known for sunshine, surf and bright, happy lives. Yet, the city does a great job of wrapping itself in a dark cloak and embracing the fun and spirit of Halloween.

So whether it’s parties, movies or a chance to see Jack Nicholson in a corset, get out and explore the city. Los Angeles isn’t the perfect setting for a classic horror film, but it knows how to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve.