USC continues to provide flu shots for students

The Los Angeles Department of Public Health was on campus providing influenza, pertussis (whooping cough) and pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccinations by the Ronald Tutor Campus Center Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Although the flu shot commonly causes soreness, redness or swelling where the shot was given, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone who can get a flu shot, especially those often around children or over the age of 65.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, “Each year, the seasonal influenza vaccine contains three influenza viruses – one influenza A (H3N2) virus, one influenza A (H1N1) virus, and one influenza B virus. The 2009 H1N1 influenza virus strain is included in the 2010-11 seasonal flu vaccine because scientists continue to see this virus strain circulate in the U.S.”

Whooping cough vaccines were recommended because California is currently experiencing a whooping cough epidemic. The California Department of Public Health reported Tuesday that there have been 6,257 confirmed, probable and suspect cases of whooping cough with onset from Jan. 1 through Oct. 19, for a state rate of 16 cases per 100,000 people.

The report said that was the most cases reported in 60 years.

Pneumonia is the leading cause of vaccine-preventable deaths in the United States, and is recommended for those aged 19-64 who smoke or have chronic or immunosuppressing medical conditions like asthma.

1. Trish Parnell
    Trish Parnell says:

Healthy young adults feel less need to protect themselves through vaccination, but even healthy people are hospitalized each year from these diseases. Get immunized – it’s so much safer and easier than getting infected.