Oregon wins Knight Arena Opener

Even without their senior leader Jaevan Catron, the hapless Oregon Ducks (8-9, 1-4) treated the 12,000 strong at the brand new Matthew Knight Arena with an opening night 68-62 victory on Thursday night over USC (10-7, 2-2).

Staked to a 20-point lead midway through the 2nd half, the Ducks behind a balanced offensive attack led by  sophomore forward E.J. Singler (10 points and six rebounds) and junior guard Malcolm Armstead (11 points and three assists), survived a late 25-11 run by the Trojans to notch their first win in conference play.

For the Trojans, senior guard Donte Smith led all scores with 13 points, and junior forward Nikola Vucevic tallied 11 points and 13 rebounds in a losing effort.

The loss denied USC of their first three-game win streak on the 2010-2011season and drops them to a tie for 4th place in the Pac-10 standings.

USC will close out their two-game Oregon road trip in Corvallis on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. PST to take on the Oregon State Beavers (7-9, 2-3).

The Cardinal and Gold haven’t won on the road at Oregon State since January of 2008.

1. Student
    Student says:

FIRE KO! He cannot run an offense to beat the zone to save his life. What a joke. We’re wasting the opportunity to really put together a great program with UCLA down by keeping KO – fired everywhere he has been. If Pat Haden cared at all about bball – He’d go find USC a coach that can teach offense.